Short Film I shot in Cuba - La Noche Buena on old old Red One MX

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Shows how inaacurate skin tones can be suiting to the story/mood. I love the runing scene with strong back light, I had it in mind for a future project yet it's great to actually see. This is really inspiring, I think I am going to do a short based on that scene :)

​I'm still a bit flummoxed why highly accurate skin tone is such a priority for some people.  Personally I view color as a variable that can and should be exaggerated.  To each their own I guess. 

​I think in this case he meant it as a compliment- you're both on the same page. What most of us want are cameras with accurate skin tones out of camera. From there we can more easily match cameras, have no surprises in post, and can tweak color for emotion (ending up no longer accurate/realistic and instead lending to the cinematic mood of the story).

What most of us want are cameras with accurate skin tones out of camera. From there we can more easily match cameras

​Yeah, I'm hyperbolic.  Sorry bout that.  

I mean I intellectually get why it makes sense for a lot of folks.  It certainly depends on what they're trying to do.  I just don't run in that arena of higher levels of production.  And I've never met a camera I've been unable to effectively utilize because of bad colors.

Well, that's not true.  I've used some pretty wonky JVC cameras.

As for the RED1, there's still a reason it appeals to dudes like Mr. Davis and why they use 'em to make cool stories...  But man is it slow!

These cameras are going for less than £2000 on eBay.  I wonder what they'd be like compared to current -£2k cameras like the NX1

​I should do a test! I have both.  ALso a A7s and f35.  Why don't I stop being so lazy and do a test!!!!!!!!!!  I think offhand I like the skin tones out of the nx1 more than my red one - non scientific testing.  curious about highlight handling how they compare.

and of course red one mx has much better rolling shutter.  less jello.  so that's pretty big.  but it's also a big beast and takes 2 minutes to boot up!

These cameras are going for less than £2000 on eBay.  I wonder what they'd be like compared to current -£2k cameras like the NX1

​yeah but then monitor, v mount, v mount batteries, red ssd's (or hhd's if its older). Rails, cables, mag readers... lens mount depending on your glass... Price goes up quickly (lots of proprietary stuff like the mags). But I'd probably buy one over a few other sub 10k cameras if I had 8-12k to spend.