Good lens case

norliss

I've built up a collection of C/Y mount Zeiss Primes (with one zoom) but currently don't have a proper box in which to keep them.

I was looking at Peli/Pelican cases but read all sorts of things about the little bits of foam getting in the lenses, the foam containing gases, that they shouldn't be kept in there for anything other than brief transportation etc.

Can anyone recommend any quality, sturdy storage & transportation solutions for my glass?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I really don't understand why anyone uses foam vs. dividers... yes, dividers cost a bit more in most cases, but you can quickly reconfigure the case when you upgrade or for specialty gigs. Pelican (and SKB makes cases which are pretty much knockoffs but a bit bigger for each class, and Nanuk makes nice ones as well) are investment-type cases. You'll own them long after you've sold the gear you kept in them. I think replacement foam for the 1550 is like $60. I've found it breaks down after a few years though, but it gets hot here in TX.

If money is really tight, check Craig's list of you're in a decent sized city, search things like "ATA" and "Surplus" - sometimes you can luck out. Use all kinds of search terms on eBay  and check the "used" box (I found a custom-made roller case that was for a 4x5 film camera and all the holders, lenses, etc for $100 with dividers - it's my main camera case now for motion gigs, was probably $600 new, holds a fully rigged camera, all my NDs, and main-squeeze lenses). There's military cases, military-spec pelicans, all kinds of stuff.

Trekpak makes fantastic dividers which are WAY nicer than the velcro+foam ones. I also second M Carter's suggestion to avoid foam. 

My recommendation is the Pelican 1510 case with the Trekpak divider kit. It's fully carry-on legal nearly everywhere (including the European value airlines, from direct personal experience), it's got wheels when you've got a ways to go, it's not so heavy by itself, and it's absolutely durable. I love mine, and with the lid organizer, it's held an entire guerrilla shoot's worth of gear multiple times, including lenses, bodies, led lights, batteries, tools, pretty much everything except the tripod.

And I can't say enough good things about Trekpak's gear organization. I have a Trekpak system in every single case i own, now. Worth every cent. Not paid, sponsored, or otherwise benefitting for me saying this, just a happy customer.

HPRC is a very good alternative to Pelican and you can configure them with foam or with divisors etc...

http://www.amazon.it/HPRC-custodia-bauletto-fotocamera-digitale/dp/B00JJU5Q4C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1423671998&sr=8-4&keywords=hprc

One of the case I own:
http://www.plaber.com/2500.htm

but they produce a lot of different cases:
http://www.plaber.com/2530.htm