Nikon D5500

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Jup.

To be honest, the D5200 was pretty great (quite the substantial upgrade from the D5100) and they then left out the optical low pass filter thereafter on the D5300 and included Expeed 4 processing, making it even better.

But I'm pretty sure the change from D5500 is more about usability than picture quality. Performance in terms of sensor, processing and AF-system sound the exact same (and Nikon not claiming otherwise!). So the jump you're expecting in the video department, I'm not sure if you'll get it.

I mean, touchscreen is a nice add-on, but I hardly ever use touch on the GH4. I've got my double dials, WB/ISO/exposure comp under a touch of a finger already. And I use a lot of manual only glass, so touch focus is not really applicable most of the time anyways, nothing wrong with doing things manually. Monocoque body... well, I never killed a camera of any sorts, so I don't really mind a somewhat lesser build quality. They also seem to got rid of the GPS and all in all, the D5500 is a bit slimmed down from the D5300. The flat profile might be something interesting, but I'm not sure if it does what I think it does. I've read somewhere that in this profile you'll have more intermediate steps to dial down or up things like sharpness for more control?

If you're looking for image quality out of the D5500, I'd say to just look at footage out of a D5300, which you already know what it's capable of. If you want to see the touch AF in action, then ok, wait for the D5500 videos to pop up. Which I guess will take a while, I'm pretty sure they're not in stock at stores already.

From: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7800-new-nikon-d5500/

​Took a month. There seems to be a slight improvement in performance, but only ever so little. Still sticking with the: if you don't need the added features/care too much for the newer handling and it's about getting quality out of the camera, get yourself a D5300 and save a couple bucks. If you can live without 60p (although: come on, Canon! RLY?!)... the 750D/760D might actually turn out to be okay-ish as well.

• Administrators

Looks very solid.

I agree with TCSTV though when they say mirrorless just gives you that bit more.

Whilst every year mirrorless takes a huge revolutionary leap (full frame, or 5 axis stabilisation, or 4K video) Nikon clearly have a very slow trickle of improvements planned out over the long term. Not going to work well for them I'm afraid. There's absolutely zero reason why the D5300 could not have had this body, with the new controls, deeper grip and touch screen. Nikon are on one hand upsetting their own customers from last year, every year, and at the same time bringing too small an improvement vs the mirrorless cameras. Oops.