Color Grading of newer movies Talk

DigitalEd

I have been spending a lot of time looking at the color grading of a lot of movies and some i just do not understand why they did what they did to the color so i want to chat about it here and see what others think.

Just watched John Wick last night for the second time. The move has so much blue green color grading in it i feel the over done blue grading takes away from the quality of the movie. I love the move but the grading to me is way over done, One part they show his wife collapsing in his arms a wide shot and it is graded so over orange red you are over welmed with the color change you have a hard time understanding what is going on in the clip.

Next movie is Gone girl. I liked the moved but hated the color grading i feel it was way overboard. To yellow for my taste..

Then the movie Lucy i loved the movie and loved the color grading of it - to me it was very real looking not over colored hazing the image with a color tint that is so over barring it takes away from the movie. In Lucy they sometimes use a bit of yellow but just the right amount not to over do it, Then other times they use blue just right so the other colors still pop looking good. This is by far my favorate color grading of a newer movie i have seen.

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs165/1102296456848/img/867.jpg?a=1117887819431

What would this grading be?  not to much blue, not to much yellow is it a bleach bypass look?

What are your thought on all this ?? just trying to understand color grading better.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs