Samsung NX1 Lens options

neosushi

Hi all,

As other Samsung NX1 users, I find myself looking around for lens solutions.

The Samsung pro lenses are fantastic lenses, and I really enjoy using the 16-50mm S lens. However I don't feel comfortable investing in a lot of Samsung glass. I could have a very hard time selling them (I'm french and the NX1 isn't even out yet). The 50-150mm looks like a great option but at 1500€ I'm not sure how safe of an investment it is for my company.

Also I have to confess I usually never use third party lenses. So I have been looking around for other solutions. 

For example, ultra wide angle lens:

- Sigma 8-16mm
- Tokina 11-16mm

I'm looking for an UWA lens, a macro lens, and a good portrait/zoom lens (50-150mm equivalent).

However I am not sure which functions I'll be able to keep: aperture, auto focus, image stabilisation (no IBIS for the NX1). So my question: 

Which mount and which lenses would be the best to fit the NX1 with an adapter (and keeping the AF / IS) ?  

Thanks to all of you !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think any non Samsung lens you will be in manual focus only i have not found a adapter that gives any control so far.

I what i picked up that so far has been great is a used Tokina AF 100-300mm f/4 AT-X II lens i got it used for $450 and is very sharp.

I also use a Nikon 24x120 F4 lens that i find to be a much better range then my Samsung 16x50 2.8. When i am shooting with the 16x50 i can never get in as close as i want for a person talking for a talking head shot but the 24x120 is just right.

I have found that the 16x50 is as wide as i need for anything i have shot when i want wide so i can not see getting any more wide lens for now. I would like to at some point get the 50x150 Samsung just so i can use the newer focus features on the NX1 then with the range of both the 16x50 and the 50x150 that will cover a lot and give you the one button push focus and focus lock or full auto focus on things it will work for. I would love to see Samsung come out with a 24x134 F4 that would cover such a great range.

The big down side to the aufo focus Samsung lens like the 16x50 is it has no focus to Infinity i think that is a big problem when shooting

Wanted to add the NX1 shoots so sharp that it is to sharp i have been shooting at -5 sharpness and some shots still look to sharp that i have had to put some blur on them.

The moment you use anything non-Samsung you will not have AF and IS. Both lenses you mentioned have no IS anyway. So if you want AF and IS you must use Samsung lenses.

​Thanks a lot for this straight and clear answer :)

I never used AF for video before the NX1. But now I'm really in love with it (for certain situations). I'm probably  going to stick to the 16-50mm for wide angle shots as the I'm not sure of the big difference between 16 and 12mm (16-50mm vs 12-24mm).

Also I'm going with the 85mm 1.4. Seems like a great lens and although it doesn't have IS I wouldn't use it handheld (for video) at such long focal. 

12 and 16 is fairly big at wide angles, try it and you'll see. However I rarely like to use such ultra-wides for video work. Stills definitely, but not video. Maybe for an establishing shot of the scene but to date for actual paid stuff (corporate videos) the widest I go is 24 equivalent.

I agree 24 is plenty wide on the NX1 unless you are in a small room with many people you want to shoot at once. I find that i need a lot more zoom then anything on everything i have shot so far even the 300mm i use is to short for some things that i would like to get in closer on.

• But will they have AF and IS ... :/ 

If you are heart set on AF, and you need the lens soon, I'd probably take a look at the Samsung 12-24mm F4-5.6 NX Lens. Drawbacks being it does not have IS, it's not as wide as the Tokina or Sigma, and probably not as sharp.

There is also rumor that Samsung will be releasing an S series 11-24 f2.8 with OIS later this year, but as far as I know that's just a rumor: http://photorumors.com/2014/09/23/samsung-nx-lens-and-camera-rumored-roadmap-for-2015/ 

• 2 months later...

Hi, sorry to bring an old conversation back to life...

But, I'm currently thinking of renting the Samsung NX1 for a video shoot and was wondering which EF/or F mount adapter would I have to buy if I wanted to film with Zeiss lenses and have full aperture control.

I'm renting the Zeiss lenses.. So, I could rent either their ZE or ZF.

Thanks

Y'know, with Samsung really taking a shot at the pro & semi-pro still markets... I wonder if we'll see native mounts from Sigma, Tokina, etc. Probably will come down to market share.

​Probably not, seeing how slow companys are releasing lenses for the much more popular sony a7 FE mount i do not think that they will come to nx anytime soon.

Hi, sorry to bring an old conversation back to life...

But, I'm currently thinking of renting the Samsung NX1 for a video shoot and was wondering which EF/or F mount adapter would I have to buy if I wanted to film with Zeiss lenses and have full aperture control.

I'm renting the Zeiss lenses.. So, I could rent either their ZE or ZF.

Thanks

​No matter which way you go, you will need to manually control aperture as there are no smart adapters currently available.

Personally I'd go with ZF lenses and a standard F mount adapter, as manual aperture control rings are built into the ZF lenses. 

Kiwi NX to NIK adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camera-Lens-Mount-Adapter/dp/B00IPRAJ8S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430252474&sr=8-2&keywords=Nx+to+F+mount

And those with experience please feel free to correct me on this, but from my understanding ZE lenses are aperture controlled electronically. These lenses will require an as of yet non-existent smart adapter for the NX1 to control correctly. If you go the ZE route you will need to go with the Fotodiox de-clicked iris adapter, which is not as precise, and from personal experience will cause vignetting on wider lenses when stopped down.  

NX to EOS Iris control adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-EOSa-NX-Apt-DeClk-Adapter--Clicked-Samsung/dp/B00T0QVITM/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1430252226&sr=1-1&keywords=nx1+fotodiox

• 6 months later...

I am currently using an NX1 with Canon FD L series glass and I am getting amazing results. Sharpness from corner to corner and some serious contrast. Renders beautifully on the NX1 

Hi all,

As other Samsung NX1 users, I find myself looking around for lens solutions.

The Samsung pro lenses are fantastic lenses, and I really enjoy using the 16-50mm S lens. However I don't feel comfortable investing in a lot of Samsung glass. I could have a very hard time selling them (I'm french and the NX1 isn't even out yet). The 50-150mm looks like a great option but at 1500€ I'm not sure how safe of an investment it is for my company.

Also I have to confess I usually never use third party lenses. So I have been looking around for other solutions. 

For example, ultra wide angle lens:

- Sigma 8-16mm
- Tokina 11-16mm

I'm looking for an UWA lens, a macro lens, and a good portrait/zoom lens (50-150mm equivalent).

However I am not sure which functions I'll be able to keep: aperture, auto focus, image stabilisation (no IBIS for the NX1). So my question: 

Which mount and which lenses would be the best to fit the NX1 with an adapter (and keeping the AF / IS) ?  

Thanks to all of you !