CDNG and Adobe

Turboguard

So I've been trying to figure out the best way to work with my CDNG files from my Blackmagic pocket. After been playing around with Filmconvert I've learned that A. The BMPCC preset under camera settings NEVER makes the footage look good, when used now I just skip the camera settings and go straight to exposure, film stock etc. B. When changing exposure, white balance and tint under Source Settings per clip, it doesn't look at all like it would if I changed the exact same settings using Resolve. 

Okay, I don't wanna drag on for too long here but I am poor and have been using Resolve lite, it works amazingly (even though the interface is too big for my screen if I work on my macbook pro) but in the lite version I don't get NR!!

So I tried to open the CDNG in After Effects because I read some people are using Adobe Camera RAW. I opened and BAM, what great controls for my CDNG, even CHROMA NOISE REDUCTION, which is HUGE getting those nasty red dots off of my BMPCC footage. But then another problem appears. Adobe Camera RAW only seems to color ONE frame of my clips.

I hope I still make sense, so basically, has anyone figured out how to use CDNG and Camera Raw? I really really really love the simplicity of the settings and would love to work with my CDNGs natively in an Adobe program.

Any help and tips on good workflows are also extremely welcome.

Thanks in advance

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have been using ACR for Cinema DNG's.

1. Browse with Bridge > open folder containing CDNG's > select all

2.  Right click > Open in ACR

3.  Adjust image, then in the upper left corner of ACR, click select all > synchronize.

4. Click save.   Done.

*If you want to quickly see what multiple luts (like filmconvert) would look like on your newly converted files , open Photoshop >click file > open > select all > check import as sequence > in the Adjustments panel click Color Lookup > select Load 3d lut  > select a lut by clicking on it,  then double click and hover your mouse on the drop down menu. Use your mouse scroll wheel to quickly toggle through your luts.    (in step 4. above, you may have to save as something other than CDNG for PS to apply luts

If you have Premiere another way is to open a project, then use the media browser to navigate to your CDNG's (Import won't work)  throw them on a timeline and send to Speedgrade via direct link

I have been using ACR for Cinema DNG's.

1. Browse with Bridge > open folder containing CDNG's > select all

2.  Right click > Open in ACR

3.  Adjust image, then in the upper left corner of ACR, click select all > synchronize.

4. Click save.   Done.

*If you want to quickly see what multiple luts (like filmconvert) would look like on your newly converted files , open Photoshop >click file > open > select all > check import as sequence > in the Adjustments panel click Color Lookup > select Load 3d lut  > select a lut by clicking on it,  then double click and hover your mouse on the drop down menu. Use your mouse scroll wheel to quickly toggle through your luts.    (in step 4. above, you may have to save as something other than CDNG for PS to apply luts

If you have Premiere another way is to open a project, then use the media browser to navigate to your CDNG's (Import won't work)  throw them on a timeline and send to Speedgrade via direct link

​Thanks for you reply. But when I press save, they I get the choice to save them as either .dng and .DNG. I tried .dng because that's how my files look already. But when trying to pull that scene into Premiere after it says that the file is corrupt.

In AE if you import CDNG's as a sequence, ACR will apply the changes to all the frames. However, you may want to open a preferred frame first in PS, apply ACR settings, save those settings as a preset, then when ACR is open in AE load the preset. When you render out your composition from AE, all the frames will be processed. Make sure you have Multiprocessing enabled in AE (faster). The method sam mentioned also works: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5683.msg43962#msg43962

This will work only with AE. Unfortunately PPro doesn't use ACR (though it can load CDNG sequences directly).

​Thanks for you reply. But when I press save, they I get the choice to save them as either .dng and .DNG. I tried .dng because that's how my files look already. But when trying to pull that scene into Premiere after it says that the file is corrupt.

The 2 ways I mentioned don't go together. 1. Bridge to ACR method.  2. Premiere to Speedgrade.   Sorry If that wasn't clear.