Davinci Resolve/ Canon 7D CDNG 14bit/ export settings Win7

Dan Wake

Hello guys Marry Christmas to you all! :)  

Today I have finally installed Davinci Reolve + Neat Video in my windows 7 PC and I wish to start learning this software and use it for my RAW files with Canon 7D.

First to say the very first step of my workflow is removing the fixed pattern noise (vertical banding) and this is possible for the Canon 7D users that shoot in RAW video thanks to a developer called Baldand (you can meet him in the magic lanter forum), who made a -fantastic- Magic Lantern Video (MLV) to Cinema DNG (CDNG) converter (and more) that can FIX so much the problem (not at 100% but does a good job). so the first think that I do is use "mlrawviewer" to fix the banding problem and create the CDNG that I will use in Lightroom or (finally) Davinci Resolve.

You can download it here: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer

Now I'm tryng to say goodbye to Lightroom for the color and I wish to ask you some advice about Resolve because I really cannot understand which is it the best output setting for RAW video on Windows: wich codec and setting should I use for export please? should I download external codecs? I have a clean PC aleady formatted so I have not any codec other than the quicktime that I downloaded from the website.

thanks a lot for help! :)

Dan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not sure I understand question.  Lightroom takes a DNG file(s) and applies a "process" to the image data, which you can output as a TIFF, PNG, JPG, etc.  From there you have to take those TIFFs say, and create a video stream.  In short, you have two steps because you're using Lightroom which is meant for photography.  With Resolve, it does a process straight to a video stream, which can be any quality you want.  I would go with Quicktime MOV to start.  Sorry Dan if I misunderstand the question.

• Administrators

I'd export from Resolve to ProRes or DNxHD after grading. You can even edit the whole shebang in Resolve 11 now, it's pretty good, then export in H.264 for Vimeo.

Are you using Lightroom to fix the banding problem?

Resolve 11 now has very good noise reduction built in, give it a go.

Not sure I understand question.  Lightroom takes a DNG file(s) and applies a "process" to the image data, which you can output as a TIFF, PNG, JPG, etc.  From there you have to take those TIFFs say, and create a video stream.  In short, you have two steps because you're using Lightroom which is meant for photography.  With Resolve, it does a process straight to a video stream, which can be any quality you want.  I would go with Quicktime MOV to start.  Sorry Dan if I misunderstand the question.

​thanks for your advices and Merry Christmas Max! :) yes I know that I could use Resolve instead than Lightroom it's for this reason that I wish to learn Resolve. I will try with MOV plus the codecs that Andrew said and I will report some result. the problem is that I aleady did a little test with different codecs and I have got different problems: the exported file had more bightness than the source, another one had "strange colors", another one was not recognised in Premiere CS6 (codec not supported), another one were really so much huge. But this exports were not done with a CDNG, I was working with some HQ jpeg. If I do not try with CDNG RAW files I cannot say if I will have all those problems again.

I'd export from Resolve to ProRes or DNxHD after grading. You can even edit the whole shebang in Resolve 11 now, it's pretty good, then export in H.264 for Vimeo.

Are you using Lightroom to fix the banding problem?

Resolve 11 now has very good noise reduction built in, give it a go.

​to fix the banding problem at its roots on 7D we can not use Lightroom today (I hope one day it will be possible). the only way is to convert the file MLV to CDNGs with the software made by Baldand "mlrawviewer. this guy is a genius! :)

MLV is the "RAW" file that you find in the CF card when you shoot with the 7D. what mlrawviewer does is to "unzip" this file to a lot of DNG (that are cinema dng) in the folder that you need.

before exporting with mlrawviewer you can choose the staus of "stripes corretion" the "X" means active. then export in really, few, seconds (depend the size of the MLV file). so it's really fast to fix the stripes correction. it works well, not 100% perfect but it's really usefull. a little magic to my point of view.

as soon as I can I will post some shots taken from the Magic Lanter Forum or made by me.

the question is: does this awesome invention works with any camera? I do not think so. I believe this magic should work only with the 7D because I believe (not sure about this) Baldand maybe have only this camera. you should speak with him if you want to know more about his algorithm and if it can be done for different camera models.

about the noise reduction inside davinci I saw this review. the reviewer say that Neat Video have separate noise reduction for "luminance" and "chrominance" (like Lightroom). Davinci tool have not (only one control for both). he believe the final results in neat video are better. 

http://mixinglight.com/portfolio/noise-reduction-in-resolve-part-2-neat-video-ofx-plug-in/

Marry Christmas Andrew and thanks a lot for your blog and your help! :)