There can be only 3! What would you choose?

There Can be Only Three!  

34 members have voted

1. 1. If you could have only 3 fixed-focal-length lenses in your bag, what would they be? FULL FRAME EQUIV. ONLY PLEASE! If not listed please choose closest.

This is a revision/evolution of my previous poll which had some issues. It's a multiple choice question so check THREE answers. Results should be interesting! Remember: FULL FRAME (35MM) EQUIVALENT ONLY! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I feel these kind of questions are a bit like "If you'd have to kill one of your children, who would you pick?" - however you motivate it, you'll always feel like you miss your dearest child :)

Anyway, this is why I have a 16-35mm zoom for the wider end. In addition I usually pick 50, 85 and 200mm lenses along in the bag. If I had to go down to three primes, I think it'd be 28 + 50 + 105. Or perhaps 35 + 85 + 200.

My preference is to have my bag nearly packed with equipment and lenses nearby - so I can pick the ones that I think are right for the situation when I head out somewhere (anything from one lens to five, depending on situation). 

24, 50 and 85 for me but the A7 cameras can also use crop mode for more choices.

I really would want two 24mm lenses a faster one and a tilt shift.  

Funnily enough I might keep some of the same focal lengths with M4/3 (so different angle of view) and maybe just add a fourth lens.   The Gx7 also has a built in lossless teleconverter  for video that works well with longer lenses for a bit more reach.

i prefer 135mm instead of 150.  but 50, 85 and 135 are the best IMO

​Yes don't know why I put 150 instead of 135. 

I know you're a defocus junkie Rich but wouldn't you get stuck without a wide?

just out of interest why are we doing this at FF - ??? and not super 35mm

​Partly because it's the more commonly referenced equivalent among "DSLR video" types, and also because it's the largest sensor size (I assume no one here soots with an Arri 65 ;)) - super 35 shooters are more likely to be used to talking in FF terms, whereas I haven't often heard 5D/A7S/etc users convert focal length to S35 terms!

This is the beauty of having a Sony A7s which shoots in FF as well as APS-C.

FF I would choose 24mm , 50mmm and 85mm.  If I need extra reach I would shoot in APS-C mode. Now for filming wildlife where you need 300-400+ lenses I would go to MFT format cameras, especially GH4 where you can do a sensor crop in 1080p and have insane long lenses. As it stands though I'm in love with FF and don't want to go back to smaller sensor cameras unless of course they are the likes of RED, ARRI, etc.

Is strange you don't have 135mm as an option... is much more common than 150mm.

I voted for 24m, 50mm, 135mm (well... 150mm was unfortunately the closest that I could pick). 
This gives you a lovely range from wide, to normal, to telephoto. 

Although.... there are only a few 135mm f/2 options, while there is lots of 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 options. So many would prefer 85mm here. 

Example three is:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1078640-REG/rokinon_ds24m_n_ds_24mm_t1_5_cine.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1077536-REG/rokinon_ds50m_n_50mm_t1_5_as_umc.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1078631-REG/rokinon_ds85m_n_ds_85mm_t1_5_cine.html