Uh - Oh - Samsung NX1 Test Films

Ed_David

new firmware is on my nx1 - was so simple to install.  It has enabled 6k IMAX recording and global shutter and 14 444 pro res files and slo mo up to 400,000 FPS and made the camera say "nice shot" everytime I get a good shot.  I highly recommend upgrading.

​That's a big shame really, as I don't have any need for 6k IMAX, 14,444 ProRes and 400,000 FPS. Lame update. When it says "Nice Shot", does it ever say "Really Shit Shot"? 

I was hoping for a built-in lighting setup on the sensor, where I could touch and drag up to 5 different lights and boost/decrease the ISO in my chosen areas. There would be no need for proper lighting anymore, or dynamic range. I wish everything was artificial. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

thanks guys- really nice to hear.  The outdoor shots because I didn't have ND for the lens I went to a f/8 on the lens and a 1/1000 shutter - bright bright daylight - shooting at 100 ISO - made it too sharp.

Yes it looks no different than c log when you see it ungraded.  Shooting at minus 10 contrast (on the camera) and -35 contrast in the wondershare transcode is quite amazing looking.  This is a super clean looking image at 800 ISO.  Even 1600 ISO looks great.

I am excited to sit down in the my studio and do some tests with in camera vs post saturation to see what feels better.  Also the newest firmware update does improve the color science and seems to make the auto white balance more responsive.  And need to play more with different IMPULZ luts profiles.  

I'm editing the 4k files on a mac - in final cut pro 7 then taking into resolve.  

The rolling shutter in 1080p - I haven't tested this mode yet.  I assume its doing an in camera down convert so I would hypothesize that it would be the same.

I haven't done a formal test on rolling shutter but I rate it around the Sony A7S mode in full frame or maybe the Canon 5D Mark II around - just with my eyes.

But again, rolling shutter can be stopped by making the camera a little bigger w a base plate like a zacuto rod system.  and also my holding stance is pretty poor.  I got away without having to shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II - I never learned the technique as well.  Also this was my first shooting test - I just opened up the box and started shooting.  My next video that I've been shooting over the past week - hopefully it's less shakey.  

Hi Ed, nice to see all the detail in the shadows. Although now I'd add a bit more punch! And a CGI teaspoon flying through each shot ;) 

I'm steering towards upgrading from my GH3 this year (I don't buy every camera ever like some people) and I've always favoured the A7S for being the most appropriate tool for my favoured image (cinematic, decent dynamic range, adaptable lenses) but I have to admit, I've been curious how the NX1 could be utilised in my camera bag. 

From your experience so far, how would you define the NX1 as a tool, if used for cinematic purposes?