5D3 RAW in 2.5K, 13+ Stops of DR

andrgl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Wow! This looks better than most cameras out there including the C line. What's the gotcha?! Can you record continuously at 24-25p for a decent duration? It's great how you get to keep the full 1080p resolution length but get extra resolution on the width side at 2.5k. Love the aspect ratio and adore the wide DR, it almost looks a bit too HDR-ish but with some tweaking it can be perfect. I haven't seen that kind of DR from cameras claiming even 14 stops of DR. This ia either more tgan 13 or these cameras are less than 14.

Looks like just over a minute of recording time is possible. I imagine using a fast card or reducing the resolution (at the expense of moire and aliasing) could net continuous shooting

The only real catch is that the workflow is a little involved. I updated the first post with a link to the relevant ML forum topic.

As mentioned in the linked ML thread, the increase in dynamic range is achieved with ML's dual iso feature in which both "interlaced fields" are assigned a different iso.

The only drawbacks of this technique is that it reduces the veritcal resolution, and it also increases the tendency for moire/aliasing.

The concept behind the Panavision Dynamax sensor was similar, in that it was supposed to utilize neighboring RGB pixel groups of differing sensitivities (through the use of pixel apertures, as I recall).

I used this in a shoot. It was surprisingly good quality! The resolution loss was only visible on the darkest and brightest parts making most of the image look very, very good.

Biggest problem was the very, very slow conversion of dual-iso movies.

Though now I'm getting good results just shooting ISO 100 and boosting up the shadows. You can get them clean with a bit of NR. Newest mlrawviewer can get rid of the stripes and dead pixels too.

p.s Your sun went black? dafuq?