I'm selling my Nikon D5300 (*sob*)

I'm selling my D5300 as I've just bought a GH4 and can't justify 3 cameras. I love the D5300 but the GH4 image, especially with a speed booster, is capable of being very similar in colour and low light terms (and of course superior in many ways). I do in a lot of ways prefer the D5300 image - particularly the colour science - but I know that in reality, next to my GH4 and BMPCC, it won't get much use.

Anyway, if anyone is interested it's on ebay starting at £299, auction closing this evening. There are no bids at the moment so if anyone here is sure they want it, message me and you can have it for £270 not incl. P&P (£11 to UK for next day delivery, I'll calculate worldwide costs if needed). Ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161521116555?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

It's in excellent condition - mechanically perfect and cosmetically I can't see anything to complain about at all. Shutter count is 2499. 1 year old. Still under guarantee for another year. 3 batteries.

I shot these on it soon after I first got it. It's a great video camera. I'm going to miss it. *sniff*

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would keep it.  As a stills camera it is far superior to the GH4 (though I don't own one).  Of course, if you don't shoot stills, that would be academic.  The GH4 and BMPCC are a perfect combination for most video needs.  

I love shooting stills, but I'm always shooting video instead so I never do. I'm not a photographer. The GH4 is a good enough stills camera for me - in fact I love shooting stills with it. It's so versatile, and stills quality (particularly RAW) is very good. Far, far better than my G6 for example. The Nikon would just sit on my shelf gathering dust, and I needed to sell it to pay for the GH4.

As you say, the GH4 and BMPCC is a superb filmmaking combo. With my fast primes and speed booster low light isn't even really a problem.

I'm literally in love with the GH4. There is just so much camera in that tiny GH3 body it's insane. It's such a pleasure to work with too. And it's amazingly futureproof - 10-bit 422 4K capable! The BMPCC's image isn't going to look silly for a very long time either. I'm so pleased to have two superb, professional video cameras that I know will be with me for a long time. I'm really looking forward to focussing on all the other aspects of filmmaking and not wondering whether or not I should upgrade. I can confidently say I would be happy with these two as my 'A-cameras' for at least another 2-3 years.

Anyway, the D5300 has gone now (as has my G6) and I'm too besotted with the GH4 to care.  :wub: I may pick up a GM1, GX7 or LX100 as a B-cam at some point if I find the BMPCC too frustrating for paid multi cam stuff. 

How can you say it's far superior if you don't own one?

Just my opinion, Inazuma, from my experience with the GM1, which has a similar sensor to the GH4.  I've done all kinds of tests with camera equipment, and though not rigorous, my conclusion is the larger the sensor the better dynamic range and the lesser the noise.  "Canon" colors are nice, but technically speaking, the Nikon sensors + Nikon firmware should not be dismissed by anyone who has not shot Nikon in any real way--for stills, of course!  Tests, aside, I've shot with a lot of different cameras and the Nikon 600 I owned for a while produced stunning results.  

It all depends on what you're shooting.  I have to admit that my opinion of the GM1, for stills, has risen after acquiring an Olympus 17mm/1.8  However, I still find the Panasonic sensors, as great as they are for video, leave something to be desired for photography.  

As johnnymossville says above, the GH4 is a perfectly good camera below 800 ISO (a great camera when you factor in 24fps 4k stills! and silent shutter)  Above 800 ISO, very nice black and white, but I wouldn't shoot indoors with it, professionally.

Recent shot with GM1 I wouldn't have taken with Nikon

>

The D5300 is without question capable of producing stunning stills. The problem for us is that to shoot video with it you really need to use old un-chipped manual lenses with it (cheap G lenses tend to have crap focus rings and you have to come out of live view for aperture change) --- but manual lenses are useless for stills as there is no metering on the D5300, no focus aids other than a really slow magnify on the LCD, and live view shooting is ridiculously slow. The OVF is tiny, so that's no good with the manual glass (and no exposure settings). Unless you have different glass for video/photo, or buy exclusively AF-D lenses, it's basically unusable as a hybrid IMO. It is made to be used with Nikon G lenses, period. This is 50% of the reason I wasn't using it - although I generally preferred the image from the Nikon, the G6 was going in my bag every day while it sat on the shelf. You can't underestimate the significance of usability. That's 50% of the reason the GH4 is such a joy.

Matt, I sort of came to a similar conclusion. But I'm more of a stills person than I'm guessing you are. So, for stills... with the right lens, it's a great lightweight cam that can make some decent 1080p. I was happy with the look of what little I shot with it, but found myself not enjoying all the little hassles like no focus peaking, etc. 

That's basically why I just pulled the trigger on an FZ1000. It looks more like what I was after to begin with... although I'm a bit nervous about it's weight and that little 1in sensor. A GH4 or Sony A7s is likely more what I'd want at home, but for carrying a backpack or motorbike travel... I'm liking the idea of the FZ1000. Keeping the D5300 for now... at least for stills. I haven't completely given up on Nikon yet, but I'm getting close. ;)

Just my opinion, Inazuma, from my experience with the GM1, which has a similar sensor to the GH4.  I've done all kinds of tests with camera equipment, etc

Ah fair enough Maxotics :) I too owned a d5200 last year and the question of if it was noticeably better for stills than my GX7 has been on my mind for this whole time. I almost want to buy the camera again just to compare.

Matt, I sort of came to a similar conclusion. But I'm more of a stills person than I'm guessing you are. So, for stills... with the right lens, it's a great lightweight cam that can make some decent 1080p. I was happy with the look of what little I shot with it, but found myself not enjoying all the little hassles like no focus peaking, etc. 

That's basically why I just pulled the trigger on an FZ1000. It looks more like what I was after to begin with... although I'm a bit nervous about it's weight and that little 1in sensor. A GH4 or Sony A7s is likely more what I'd want at home, but for carrying a backpack or motorbike travel... I'm liking the idea of the FZ1000. Keeping the D5300 for now... at least for stills. I haven't completely given up on Nikon yet, but I'm getting close. ;)

The GH4 is pretty small, particularly if you use MFT lenses. Very similar in size to the D5300, just a different shape. The A7S is ridiculously small - too small for video IMO.

I am keeping my D5300 primarily because I have a lot of Pro Nikkors.

If it wasn't for the short recording and short battery life, I would use it a lot more.

The still image quality and 1080P60 Video quality are very good.

So is the low light capability. I have useable photos in poor light at ISO 128000.

Most of what I use my GH4 for is unattended Videos of over one hour at a time.