Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Newest Short Film Shot Entirely on Samsung NX1

cjwilliams0013

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think it's nice to have friends that are good actors and that can do earnests naturalistic reading of heavily metaphorical writing.  Seriously.  That is NOT easy to do.  Without the allegorical VO the short would be rather typical of what we normally see on Vimeo, eh?

To be honest, I'm not sure why the NX1 is mentioned specifically...images look decent; not bad, not great.  I wonder if it must be some sort of PR thing going on with Samsung and Levitt?

Anyway, short, punchy, held my interest.

An EOSHD reader, obviously ;)

I believe that now may be the time to reveal that I am in fact Joseph Gordon-Levitt! Andrew, I am a huge fan of your blog!!!

As I apply 'the method' to everything I do I have in fact been living in North East England for some time, shooting a lot of stuff with a Nikon DSLR and adopting a grouchy and abrasive persona to disguise my easy-going and gregarious nature. 

that guy is so talented, i cant get over his performance on "brick", 

the film looks like...very bad coloring, dont like it. 0:22 what is that?terrible 0:36? 1:41 everything burned out..,generaly the blacks and whites don't look good.

yellow person at 0:51 generally looks like its was shot with a phone.

the story is interesting, but could be better with another camera this does not advertise the image quality of nex, but i think its due to the post processing/grading.

someone tampered with the image, and not in a good way

my humble opinion  

I don't get it. The competition was to shoot on any camera ... and then they only choose clips shot on the NX1?!

I really like the colours personally. A lot. I'm still eager to see some conclusive tests of how much noise there is at 1600/3200. Rolling shutter looks pretty poor though, and DR.

JGL does some good acting work but this is awful in all aspects IMO. It seems like a meta parody of the vimeo films that attempt to attribute intense meaning to a bunch of random slow motion travel shots. It's even worse when the footage jittery mobile phone footage. 

Maybe I just don't get it.

I believe that now may be the time to reveal that I am in fact Joseph Gordon-Levitt! Andrew, I am a huge fan of your blog!!!

As I apply 'the method' to everything I do I have in fact been living in North East England for some time, shooting a lot of stuff with a Nikon DSLR and adopting a grouchy and abrasive persona to disguise my easy-going and gregarious nature. 

If you are really who you said, I can congratulate you, I really enjoy your movie, especially the work on the voice over :) 

If you are really who you said, I can congratulate you, I really enjoy your movie, especially the work on the voice over :)

Thanks Seb. Unfortunately I'm not JGL. I'm MJS.

Good to see you here though - it's been a while. How are you liking your GH4?

Thanks Seb. Unfortunately I'm not JGL. I'm MJS.

Good to see you here though - it's been a while. How are you liking your GH4?

JGL, MJS, whatever ;) I'm liking the GH4 well, I've done a lot of work with it theses pasts months, not already online. Recently I've done a music video, and also a Making Of of a long feature movie, with two weeks shooting (in anamorphic of course) in Ethiopia. Soon online ;)