Amazing Red One footage in this German film

sunyata

MV5BNDgzOTQxNzU1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzE3 Technical Specifications
Showing all 5 technical specifications
Runtime 1 hr 23 min (83 min) Sound Mix Mono Color Black and White Camera Red One Camera Negative Format 4K Redcode RAW

This blew me away when I saw that it was 4k Red One Redcode RAW, not sure if the grainy stuff was added in post? Movie was not quite as good as the cinematography IMO, DP was Philipp Kirsamer who also did V for Vendetta. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In Germany, the film is called 'Oh Boy'. I didn't see it. It may be 'not quite as good', as you wrote. But if so, then surely not because of the actor. Tom Schilling has a special quality.  If he is cast almost as an egoshooter (indeed the title of an experimental film he starred in), if the audience is supposed to see everything that happens with 'his' eyes, then he easily carries the whole film, no matter how absurd it gets. Of course, he is probably not known outside Germany.

Ewan McGregor is one of those exceptional actors. Watch Trainspotting again. Or indeed every film he appears in, even Star Wars. Did you see the incredibly boring (my impression) The Ghost Writer by Polanski? It would have been unendurable, hadn't McGregor played the ghost. All events look completely subjectiv (and therefore somewhat meaningful) just because he is in the frame. He is the perfect medium. I read at some time Nicolas Cage was cast for the (nameless) ghost. Just think of how cheap and arbitrarily constructed every mystery movie looked that he starred in!

His antipode is an intense actor like Ryan Gosling. Watch Stay again, and see, how both are cast. 

Or John Cusack. If he playes the hero, he becomes you, you become him, instantly. Or is it just me? If he playes the villain, he still clearly is John Cusack, holding his dark side to the camera for a change.