Best ND for Sony A7s

Tim Naylor

Finding the right ND brand for a digital camera can be tricky. What works well on one camera may cause an unacceptable color shift on another. For example, since the C300 has considerable built in IR control using certain ND IR filters on Canon C300's adds too much correction.

Anyway, as much as I love my Sony A7s, I've yet to find the optimum ND situation. While I love faders for their convenience, when I can I opt for straight ND's because they look infinitely better. But I need both for work. So can anyone with experience with the A7s please chime in about what variable and straight ND, IR and Non IR, brand you find to be the sharpest and with the least amount of color shift. And please refrain from talking about your experience cameras other the A7s.

Right now I'm leaving towards a set of White Water TIffens 77mm IR ND.

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've found even the most expensive PV sized Tiffen NDs have ridiculous colour shifts. Supposedly the 'water white' filters are meant to fix that, but I'm not really sure as I have no experience with them. Schneiders are better, but Formatt are supposed to be the best in terms of colour shift, and I've had good results with their Firecrest range, though it is a bit expensive.

I have the Tiffen Vari ND, I will try it out later today and let you know.. I literally have not tried it since getting my a7S since I have just been shooting at night!!!

IR VARI ND or Normal VARI ND. Try this white balance to a grey card without filter, shoot face. Then add filter without white balance, shoot face and gray card so we can see the amount of shift. Then white balance with grey card/filter and shoot face and see how it compares to the first. We'll get an idea of the amount shift and how correctable it is.