Samsung NX1 - which is 4K video and which is the 28MP raw still? Can you tell?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I honestly can't tell. But if I had to choose I would say raw is B, simply for the higher colour depth and less banding and more CA, but you could have edited raw to give the A look so B compared to it looks compressed. It comes down to the edit.

Anyway it's remarkeable how close they are, identical in real-world terms. It's exciting the the quality of motion is finally catching up to the quality of stills.

A clearly is the raw photo, unless here we have the worlds first photo camera which has a weaker photo image quality than video quality. 

aside from that, images with only sharp focus in the middle will hardly show the full potential of the camera or lens.

a landscape or street with f8-f16 would be much more interesting.  plus especially in 4k video, faster movements will show if the image holds up or is falling apart.

A is the RAW, B is the 4K.  You can see it in the color space and the blocking.  You can see the extra color detail if you zoom all the way in.  B gives the illusion but its not there.

On top of that you can see that A does not have the same crop as B.  The frame extends wider and such an extra number shows in the barcode, kind of a dead give away that A is RAW.

I am hoping that A is RAW and B is the video because I like the look and feel of B better.  That said I am expecting B to be RAW for the reasons people mentioned - better color gradation, purer white balance, etc...

Anyways - looking forward to reading the results as well as the workflow overview.

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

A is the RAW, B is the 4K.  You can see it in the color space and the blocking.  You can see the extra color detail if you zoom all the way in.  B gives the illusion but its not there.

Can you explain more please? I'm mind-boggled.

So many people are going for A as RAW, I'm starting to doubt my sanity. The thing is, most of the reasons given for A being raw are about "image quality" - which is a very subjective thing - and "sharpness", which gets confused with actual detail.

Damn I think I've forgotten which is which ;)

PM me. I'll tell you.

Seriously though, will you be uploading ungraded versions of the images when all is revealed?