Full Australian movie shot on the Nikon D810

Danyyyel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This looks really good.  Though with the talent and production values such as locations, lighting, sound, editing, post etc seen here most dslr's could deliver the required quality for this type of film.  I'd go with the d810 over a red dragon any day due to the frame being 1/3rd bigger surface area.  can;t beat the full frame look.  

I'd go with the d810 over a red dragon any day due to the frame being 1/3rd bigger surface area.  can;t beat the full frame look.  

It's amazing how DSLRs are shaping taste. Very few films in cinema history have been shot with a frame larger than super 35 and now it's not enough. Ten years ago we were only dreaming of shooting with 16mm sized sensors in consumer level cameras.

It's amazing how DSLRs are shaping taste. Very few films in cinema history have been shot with a frame larger than super 35 and now it's not enough. Ten years ago we were only dreaming of shooting with 16mm sized sensors in consumer level cameras.

Are the DSLR's shaping the taste, or merely popularising it by bringing the larger format to the hands of mere mortals? After all, this is nothing new per se, larger than S35 movies were just more rare. Well, a lot more perhaps, but the point is that be it film or digital, the larger format image has always been quite alluring, and people have been hooked by it way before FF DSLR's appeared. Films like that were so few and far between, though, that neither the audience nor the filmmakers at large got a chance to get used to the big film look. 

I've seen a few 70mm/65mm films on a proper screen back in the day before full frame DSLR's and seeing those 'spoiled' me for good. After seeing them the regular S35mm (Hollywood and documentary) films felt a bit 'bland.' But we sort of get used to the lower 'norm,' because there's not much else to see, and the content is still more important.

Impressive. Interesting to read how they were using a camera which only got released the week before they started shooting!

(Nikon) money talks and filmmakers walk.  ;)

Average D810 demographic: male, 25-55yrs

Average demographic for this film: female, 13-23yrs

Odd.

Why is that odd? 

I've heard of some Oscar-nominated Hollywood movies popular among young women which are made by men in their 60's.With cameras having somewhat similar demographic, or even older.

Absolutely gobsmacking, eh? Sounds almost kinky, doesn't it.

Girls are a big group of DSLR buyers, the nikon d5300 is the target.

To paraphrase Iggy Pop, "I'm not ashamed of having the camera of a girl because I don't think it's shameful to be a girl." 

Because the film is sponsored by Nikon. It's effectively an advert for the D810. Do the math.

That sounds like a non-sequitur to me. Based on those teasers, Nikon is neither featured nor a key character in that film, apart from the quick cameo of the old FM2 in the beginning of that second teaser. It appears to be just a normal feature film, only made with Nikon gear and sponsor money. 

So I'll ask again, please explain why is the theme/genre of that film odd?

Or, would it be more clear if we turn it the other way around;

What would/should that film be like (or about), then, not to be odd in your view?

Just trying to figure out the logic behind your postulation, that's all. 

Personally I see nothing odd in Nikon sponsoring the making of a classic love story / drama film. Even if it's a 'chick flick.' If the story happens to be good and well filmed, it makes perfect sense to me, and no doubt to Nikon, too. The fact that the D810 is mostly being bought by adult men has nothing to do with it.

That sounds like a non-sequitur to me. Based on those teasers, Nikon is neither featured nor a key character in that film, apart from the quick cameo of the old FM2 in the beginning of that second teaser. It appears to be just a normal feature film, only made with Nikon gear and sponsor money. 

So I'll ask again, please explain why is the theme/genre of that film odd?

Or, would it be more clear if we turn it the other way around;

What would/should that film be like (or about), then, not to be odd in your view?

Just trying to figure out the logic behind your postulation, that's all. 

Personally I see nothing odd in Nikon sponsoring the making of a classic love story / drama film. Even if it's a 'chick flick.' If the story happens to be good and well filmed, it makes perfect sense to me, and no doubt to Nikon, too. The fact that the D810 is mostly being bought by adult men has nothing to do with it.

You are right. Well done.

You are right. Well done.

This was not about anyone being right or wrong. I was simply curious about the logic behind your comment.

If this movie or the genre of it was odd, I still wonder what kind of film would not be odd in your view.

From Nikon's POV, they proved a point. From the filmmaker's POV, they got their feature film made with the help of Nikon sponsorship. Sponsored or not, saying that the movie is just an advert for Nikon would sound almost like an insult to the filmmaker(s), wouldn't it. 

This was not about anyone being right or wrong. I was simply curious about the logic behind your comment.

If this movie or the genre of it was odd, I still wonder what kind of film would not be odd in your view.

From Nikon's POV, they proved a point. From the filmmaker's POV, they got their feature film made with the help of Nikon sponsorship. Sponsored or not, saying that the movie is just an advert for Nikon would sound almost like an insult to the filmmaker(s), wouldn't it. 

Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Smith is a riot on these forums, always cracks me up :D But the dude is right, this movie is for teen-age girls. Anyone older than 18 (male or female) would fall asleep watching this. Nothing new, nothing original, just another boy meets girl loses girl, gets girl in the end. Kids are who goes to the the theaters these days, so people want to appease these adolescent minds. 

Shot on a DSLR. Whippeeeeee. Basic camera shots. Honestly looks like it was shot by high school film students.

That being said, D810 looks a bit soft on this film. Zero depth of field on every shot is ridiculous. 

This makes "UPSTREAM COLOR" look like Martin Scorsese's "TAXI DRIVER" :o

I don't know for people here, but for me I prefer Nikon putting its money in actual film makers than a flurry of techno geek bloggers that don't even have some short movie to their credit. I am actually talking about real short movies, with a story line, actors, props etc not just some random street shot assembled with some copyrighted music. The story style or plot might not appeal to many here but it is a mammoth task compared to some random shots.

Nikon Europe also have the Nikon film festival where the winner gets a d810 and a trip to Cannes short film festival. For me I prefer that they put their money in actual film makers like in this film. It might not be to the taste of many, but it is ten time more constructive and creative than flying a bunch of bloggers to some exotic location to shoot some random flicks.

Shot on a DSLR. Whippeeeeee. Basic camera shots. Honestly looks like it was shot by high school film students.

For those criticising, try to shoot a movie on a shoestring budget.  Film making the indie way is a huge amount of work and stress typically done by a very small crew of highly dedicated folks.  Most good 10-second commercial videos these days have much higher budgets and crew than the average micro budget indie feature.

Great job OP.