Schneider Kreuznach 2x cinelux, how sharp is it?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

probably the finest projection anamorphic lens ever made - this is the pinacle of anamorphic optics by Schneider for 35mm film projection

its all switched over to DCP projection now which is why there has been a flood of Scchneiders worldwide on the second hand market as cinemas across the globe have now ripped out their 35mm projection systems and switched to DCP.

These lenses new cost over $3500 - they are that good!

I've been harping on about how good these Schneider lenses are on this forum for years now, I even designed and sold special Tecnoir 15mm rod holders for them as there was no way for me to mount them properly!! ....everyone was slow to listen ......

I've been harping on about how good these Schneider lenses are on this forum for years now, I even designed and sold special Tecnoir 15mm rod holders for them as there was no way for me to mount them properly!! ....everyone was slow to listen ......

Don't think many disputed the quality of these lens types, but I suspect many had issues with having to deal with often heavy and long-sighted lumps 'o' gold. However your Tecnoir mounts do look like they address this mounting issue very nicely for dual focus.

The FM lens being optimized for the cinelux/ ultra-star types leads me to believe it was chosen in recognition of Schneider/ isco optics as well as capitalize on the flooded market of disused (therefore cheap) projection lenses for the reasons you mentioned.

I'd even go as far to say that because of 'Avatar' leading the real push that George Lucas started for worldwide digital projection, we now are in the position to buy $3-5k optics for stupidly low prices now. Some of these lenses are probably still warm from being torn out of a lovely family run 80 year old cinema to make way for upgraded digital projection for the next Pocahontas In Space movie.

Is Schneider Kreuznach 2x cinelux sharper then Kowa for Bell & Howell (king dady of anamorphic i hear) one is 200 where kowa is 500 to 700 dollars but i believe they both focus down to 10 to 5 ft. So if Schneider sharper then why not just go with Schneider

The kowa has an anamorphic 'look' that the schneiders dont.  since the schneiders are simply very modern 2 element designs you loose some of the lovely internal reflections that come from the 6 elements inside a kowa or similar lens.

The glass inside the schneiders is as expensive as it can get - seriously high end glass types meaning less elements are needed to correct things like in the older kowas.  usually it's best to have as few elements as possible.  However since we're shooting for the look, the schneiders do have a bit of a clinical quality to them due to the lack of flaws from multiple elements cemented and assembled by hand.  

I do believe it may be beneficial to promote misting or even fungus growth in the schneiders to provide some internal stuff for light to interact with!  maybe even set some uv filters along the inside barrel to provide more surfaces?  sine they're coming up cheap maybe we could start some type of 'ruin a cinelux' concept!!!

The kowa has an anamorphic 'look' that the schneiders dont.  since the schneiders are simply very modern 2 element designs you loose some of the lovely internal reflections that come from the 6 elements inside a kowa or similar lens.

The glass inside the schneiders is as expensive as it can get - seriously high end glass types meaning less elements are needed to correct things like in the older kowas.  usually it's best to have as few elements as possible.  However since we're shooting for the look, the schneiders do have a bit of a clinical quality to them due to the lack of flaws from multiple elements cemented and assembled by hand.  

I do believe it may be beneficial to promote misting or even fungus growth in the schneiders to provide some internal stuff for light to interact with!  maybe even set some uv filters along the inside barrel to provide more surfaces?  sine they're coming up cheap maybe we could start some type of 'ruin a cinelux' concept!!!

Thanks for that info would you know what schneiders focus dawn to? and is this then lens we are talking about. Last image is from schneiders but to me looks the same

Thanks for help much appreciated

image.jpg

image.jpg

52_017744.jpg

Thanks for that info would you know what schneiders focus dawn to? and is this then lens we are talking about. Last image is from schneiders but to me looks the same

Thanks for help much appreciated

image.jpg

image.jpg

52_017744.jpg

This one and previous first one are basically the same optics, minimum 3m/10ft.  But these lenses are not convenient to focus if directly use, unless use that new focus module.  I mods like this.

In terms of sharpness, maybe resolution is a better word,  ISCO and Schneider lenses made within 10-20 years recently, IMO they have the same level, even Kowa and Sankor, just size matters. Here are some for comparison. 

So you would say that kowa for bell and howell is same resolution as Schneider just that the look is different. And would you go with schneider over kowa. Just asking since  i am think to buy just one lens to have for life ;) but i am really leaning toward kowa but 600 to 700 dollars over schneider which can be bought for 200.

This one and previous first one are basically the same optics, minimum 3m/10ft.  But these lenses are not convenient to focus if directly use, unless use that new focus module.  I mods like this.

So basically i should be looking for that small knob on the top which is for focusing? And lenses made in this design are the latest lenses made by Schneider in last 20 years those 4000 dollar ones

Such as this one?

Schneider Kreuznach SUPER CINELUX ANAMORPHIC 2X MC

rhrtjhr.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for your help man much appreciated

So basically i should be looking for that small knob on the top which is for focusing? And lenses made in this design are the latest lenses made by Schneider in last 20 years those 4000 dollar ones

Such as this one?

Schneider Kreuznach SUPER CINELUX ANAMORPHIC 2X MC

rhrtjhr.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for your help man much appreciated

Yup, got exact same one on my desk. Sharpest anamorphic I have tested out of Kowa, Singer, and a few others. Even the edges are sharp. No other projector lens anamorphic can beat it for resolution I don't think. Focusing system is lame, but if you are doing fixed shots, who cares :P

Yup, got exact same one on my desk. Sharpest anamorphic I have tested out of Kowa, Singer, and a few others. Even the edges are sharp. No other projector lens anamorphic can beat it for resolution I don't think. Focusing system is lame, but if you are doing fixed shots, who cares :P

what is the minimum taking lens that you can attache right now with my bausch and lomb i can use helllios 44

Thanks

Because Schneider's glasses are used for 35mm projectors, and size is bigger than Kowa & Singer, which are used for 16mm projectors.  If you compare it with ISCO High Definition Attachment (left one in my pictures), Schneider might not be the winner. 

what is the minimum taking lens that you can attache right now with my bausch and lomb i can use helllios 44

Thanks

Even though the glass is wider than most ,maybe 48mm on the taking side I still get vignetting right under 50mm on a crop sensor. I don't remember what I measured it to be, maybe if a lens is 46mm or so it won't vignette. But maybe I measured it to 49mm.. I don't remember. Helios is 58mm yeah? That will work fine on a crop, but not on FF. Also, because you have a focuser knob, focusing lock, and metal protruding on the front part of the Schnieder lens you can see that stuff if you go wide. So if you modify the lens (remove those parts, or something) you can maybe go even wider. Maybe tomorrow I'll test it out with a 18-55 kit to see the exact vignetting.

Last night I saw a broken Schneider on ebay for $5. Looks like someone was trying to do some DIY that went wrong.