Something we missed - Fuji X-T1 gets 24p, 25p, 50p and full manual controls

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Does it really matter if they offer 24p and manual controls if the quality is so bad? 

Unless they started reading the whole sensor, line skipping on x-trans creates terrible aliasing artifacts. They didn't mention anything on that end so I doubt they managed to fix it. 

They are going the right direction though, and I would really like a Fuji with very good video quality. 

Does the firmware update bring any improvement in the video quality department?

One way to improve moiré would be to have full readout - but I don't know how much that would impact the rolling shutter issue -, maybe they can have that in their next sensor, even more if you count that Fuji is starting to work with electronic shutter now. I know that video is not their #1 priority but Fuji has been saying how people have been asking for improvements in video mode, so more than just the right direction, maybe they are actually willing to put an extra effort on that and that would be less troublesome now that they are already established in the other front. But it's not like I would bet on that, but knowing how Fuji's Kaizen works, it's a fair hope I guess.

I don't think the firmware update can do much, if anything to improve the existing video quality beyond the promised manual control for aperture and shutter speed. I don't see how that alone could help getting rid of the false colour and aliasing artefacts. I believe going beyond that would need new hardware, too.

The X-T1 is indeed quite interesting and appealing as a stills camera. Can't say I'm not tempted, at least a little bit. It's comfortably sized, The old-fashioned control dials are nice, although I think the ISO dial is a bit too much, the viewfinder is nice, for manual focusing in particular, and it's one of the few bodies where the record button is in the right/natural place next to the shutter button.

Sadly that's pretty much the only nice thing about the video side of things of it, so far, and even after the firmware update it'll have that 2.5mm mic input/remote control jack.

• Administrators

It's a shame the video quality is so bad, I own 3 Fuji's and it would be so nice to use them for B cameras but sadly not at the moment. 

Switch it from 60p to 30p and quality improves. Still not the best but perfectly usable. Let's hope the forthcoming 24p mode has a similar 'surprise'.

If Fuji could offer good video, the XT1 would be among the most compelling mirrorless hybrid cameras.

Fuji is designing real photographer's cameras.  Unlike Sony, they have put out a series of great lenses in a relatively short period of time. 

I wish they would come up with similar firmware for my X100s.

Go Fuji!

• 2 months later...