Shooting with a 4K pocket camera - the exceptional Panasonic LX100

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The filter makes such a difference. I'm surprised not more people bought it after we talking about it

I did, actually. It's definitly a great addition for the times you want to go with that low contrast look. The Tokina RMCs do a pretty sweet job of that too (have the 28-85mm f/4 myself).

Same settings we discussed several months ago, @Inazuma - seems to work on the lx100 as a charm.

Recipe is as follows:

Standard with -5,-5,-5,-5

Highlight / Shadow 0,0

Iso was Auto, but i guess it was 200-400

Tiffen Ultra Contrast 3 Filter

FilmConvert with GH4 Profile, FJ SuperX 400 emulation was used with 30% grain

Some slight adjustment in the shadows to give it more contrast, thats it. Works out of the box on the GM1 and seems to work out of the box on the LX100.

The lx100 is really a gem - i did not hold it steady as shown in the video above, but i think the OIS does a pretty decent job. Also focus was often wrong since i tried the autofocus. However the focusring is very smooth. Not as nice as on the Voigtländer 25mm, but still good enough. I think this is an amazing package for what it costs currently. You wont regret it!

Good job :) Only thing is I would avoid shooting into the sun with the filter on. Bit of a hassle I know but it causes all the detail in the shadows to go away

What picture settings did you use btw?

Also I've decided finally that Im going to get this camera!

I have also decided to get the LX100 and see what all the fuss is about :) 

You can get it here for £340 after cashback!

Did you guys know that there is actually hidden highlight information in the video files? 

I was playing around with a LUT I made earlier this year and it was revealing information in the highlights that I thought could not possibly be there because when I messed around with the various exposure sliders in Premiere Pro, there was no detail there. But my LUT brought it out. So after discarding the LUT I added the Three Way Color Corrector effect and brought the output level from 255 to 235.. and voila there was the highlight information.

lx100_output.jpg

Did you guys know that there is actually hidden highlight information in the video files? 

I was playing around with a LUT I made earlier this year and it was revealing information in the highlights that I thought could not possibly be there because when I messed around with the various exposure sliders in Premiere Pro, there was no detail there. But my LUT brought it out. So after discarding the LUT I added the Three Way Color Corrector effect and brought the output level from 255 to 235.. and voila there was the highlight information.

This is because Premiere misinterprets the 0-255 data as being 16-235 range. Same problem with NX1 files that have 0-255 range. 

You can also use adjust the levels instead of doing it with an LUT.

This is because Premiere misinterprets the 0-255 data as being 16-235 range. Same problem with NX1 files that have 0-255 range. 

You can also use adjust the levels instead of doing it with an LUT.

Is there a way to change how Premiere works with the files so that I don't have to manually apply the correction every time?

Is there a way to change how Premiere works with the files so that I don't have to manually apply the correction every time?

Which version of Premiere are you using? I am surprised that it does this since it correctly recognizes the GH4 footage. Unfortunatelly I don't know of a way to force Premiere to use the 0-255 range. 

Ah thanks! I had no idea that ring was removable :d

Yep, you need to take the small ring off to expose the thread (more) and there is a gap where the automatic lens cap grips on to.

I spent all summer with just this camera, a 3 and 6 stop ND filter, this ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 5 bag, a couple of 128GB SD cards, and an extra battery.  I use a Heliopan 43-58mm step up ring and 58mm Xume magnetic adaptors to pop on and off the ND (which I sort of use like a lens cap).  You can also find a cheap JJC automatic lens cap that is helpful for one-handed shooting (if you aren't using filters).  Using the 4k resolution @ 1080p you can get an effective zoom range of 24-150mm, which is good enough for what I shoot.  The OIS is quite effective too - much better than I was getting on my Panasonic 35-100/2.8 (although I haven't compared to the P12-35/2.8.

I do wish the camera had a better EVF (tilting like GX7/GX8!) and also rear tilt LCD screen.  I find the focus peaking very faint in video mode for some reason, especially compared to my E-M5II which is a joy to use and quite visible at all times.  It would be useful to have a small mic-in jack and clean HDMI out to use something like the SteadXP device, or the new Rode micros.  It would also be good to be able to set the shutter angle (like in the GH4), which would make it easier switching between stills and video, especially in a PAL region where you need to jog the rear wheel to 1/50.  When I'm running around, I generally shoot with auto-iso, the aperture dial in auto, the shutter at 1/50 and switch between the two ND filters depending on the light.

I'm really glad more people are getting this little camera, as I still have much to learn from others about getting the best out of it.  Right now I'm using Natural, -3, -5, -2, 0 as others on the forum have been using with other Panasonic cameras.

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG