Sony a7s + Shogun Vs Blackmagic production camera

herakel

Hi I recently bought a Sony a7s camera and im also planning on buying a atomos shogun external recorder. However, i have been looking into the blackmagic production camera aswell and it seems quite good. So my question to you is wich setup is best, because they almost cost the same(ie sony a7s + shogun). Is it worth to sell my a7s and skip buying the shogun and instead buy the blackmagic camera? 

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Difficult to say without knowing what you are shooting.

The BMPC has much better codecs, 10 bit prores and Raw compared to the 8bit AVC-S from the sony even with a shogun it will remain 8bit since it is 8bit out the HDMI. Both have log modes for preserving dynamic range were the A7s on paper seems to have the advantage I have not seen any comparison between the 2 so I cannot say for sure. Surprisingly the 8bit slog seems to hold up very well when graded but the BM has the advantage there.

The A7s is a more flexible camera you can choose to shoot full frame or APS-C and the E-mount makes it possible to use just about any type of lens. You can shoot 60P or 120P with the A7s but are limited to 30P on the BMPC. The A7s does have bad rolling shutter in FF mode but it is much improved in APS-C mode where the BMPC has no rolling shutter at all.

The A7s is the low light king at the moment and there is no better camera out there for shooting in low light. While you may not need night vision the sensitivity makes it possible to shoot in dim light without being wide open. The BMPC however is not low light camera and must be lit properly.

The A7s is the low light king at the moment and there is no better camera out there for shooting in low light. While you may not need night vision the sensitivity makes it possible to shoot in dim light without being wide open. The BMPC however is not low light camera and must be lit properly.

Since the question implies aesthetic niceties, it'd be wrong to say the A7 was the low light king (can one say that? I know that in english, unlike in german, things have no sex, but  camera clearly sounds female. Shouldn't it read low light queen?). Because, yeah, it's bright, but does any one of those night shots look pleasing? 

There is no mention in the OP's post about image quality he asks what camera setup would be best. Since I have no idea what he intends to shoot I gave general strengths and weaknesses for both in an attempt to give him some useful feedback.

No the night shots I have seen look rather odd to me and I am not a fan of them either. I am not saying that this camera is for shooting in the dark, I don't need night vision. I am saying that it can be used to shooting indoors or on city streets at night without the need to be wide open all the time. I have the feeling you are a someone who has seen all the hey the A7s can see in the dark videos thinking how ridiculous they are and never thought how that super sensitivity and clean images at high ISO's can be extremely useful in more practical situations.

I will take the king and queen debate as sarcasm and only say that in English queen can have negative connotations depending on how it is used at least in reference to a camera. I am avoiding those since I think the A7s is an awesome little camera.