D750 image quality - does it match 5D Mark III 14bit uncompressed raw?

Andrew Reid

+1 on static human subjects!

the dog on the Nikon D750 video seemed to go out of focus a lot, so I found it hard to evaluate the camera's image.

I agree with jcs's points on the benchmark, but Andrews counterpoints ring true for most who can't handle the workflow and HD space needed for raw.  I can't say I am ready to sacrifice image though.  I think the GH4 and a7s in particular match or best the 5d3 raw in some areas and this has yet to be seen with the brand new d750...like I said I would love for andrew to have static human subjects and compare the a7s, gh4, and d750, maybe even ML Raw for kicks.

That would truly give us a picture of which system is where.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This was a very interesting post for someone (me) thinking about purchasing the LX100 same sensor? as GH4...

I can't afford putting the amount of money required into a Nikon D750 body, and while I have a couple of Canon lenses, 50mm 1.8 and 135mm 2.8, I was taken with the video I've just seen on the thread "Still like my EM1".  

If you haven't seen it yet please head over and share your thoughts please!  You could influence my next purchase.

Matt,

It's because for whatever tech reason, the GH4 doesn't process colors the way 5 years of 5D2 have spoiled us. 10 bit isn't going to help that out of the GH4. The G series are very sharp, but have the video/bad skin tones out of the gate. You can post it, but it still doesn't look great (to my eyes and many others). Main reason (besides sensor size) you read ad nauseum about people returning their GH4's to B&H in droves.

Go and search examples for yourself.

The new Nikon D750/D810 process colors beautifully..really gorgeous video with a nice cinematic look..much like a Canon EOS camera. The GH4 fails in this department miserably.

$25K and lower Canon and Nikon rule colors. Have tons of cash? Buy an Alexa/Amira and be done with it.

• 1 month later...

Andrew or anyone else shooting with this camera, do your initial impressions hold up? 

I'm shooting with the A7s for video and the A7r for stills. Very happy with the A7s, but autofocus on the A7r is abysmal. I've already got a lot of nikkor lenses and was thinking of picking this up as a B-camera 

• 3 weeks later...

So

Andrew or anyone else shooting with this camera, do your initial impressions hold up? 

I'm shooting with the A7s for video and the A7r for stills. Very happy with the A7s, but autofocus on the A7r is abysmal. I've already got a lot of nikkor lenses and was thinking of picking this up as a B-camera 

So Zach have you made your choice. I am very curious if someone did the comparison. For this test the D750 should also have been used with a Ninja or any external recorder as you could see the best it can do vs the best the Canon 5d3 can do. My experience is that you get a little jump of resolution when you shoot high bitrate prores or dnxhd and colour is a bit better. You do get a little more noise, but it is very fine grain type that I prefer to the more plastic low bitrate codec.