EF to M4/3 Speed Booster & M42 adapters

Bioskop.Inc

Metabones state the following:

"Some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may short the electronic contacts of the Speed Booster and cause damage to the Speed Booster and/or camera body."

Has anyone tried using an M42 adapter or got any info from Metabones about which ones work & which don't?

I've tried e-mailing them a few times & they've just not responded - seems crazy to make such a statement, but give not more details. Don't understand why M42 adapters are any different from other ones...!

I could really do with getting this SB, but it a deal breaker if i can't use my M42 Russain glass on it.

cheers

stu

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

All M42 to EF adapters by necessity interfere with the electrical contacts. (Milling a slot to clear the contacts would weaken the structural integrity of the adapter.) Anodized aluminum or black paint if not scratched are good insulators (you can tell if the color is black). If the color is chrome it is not possible to know for sure without asking your adapter vendor. Both untreated aluminum and chrome plating conducts electricity, but clear anodization is also an insulator (the downside is you may not be able to tell if it is scratched or not). Ask your M42 adapter vendor whether their adapter would short, and use a multimeter to verify if the adapter conducts electricity to be sure. If the insulation coating is scratched and starts conducting electricity stop using it and replace it.

All M42 to EF adapters by necessity interfere with the electrical contacts. (Milling a slot to clear the contacts would weaken the structural integrity of the adapter.) Anodized aluminum or black paint if not scratched are good insulators (you can tell if the color is black). If the color is chrome it is not possible to know for sure without asking your adapter vendor. Both untreated aluminum and chrome plating conducts electricity, but clear anodization is also an insulator (the downside is you may not be able to tell if it is scratched or not). Ask your M42 adapter vendor whether their adapter would short, and use a multimeter to verify if the adapter conducts electricity to be sure. If the insulation coating is scratched and starts conducting electricity stop using it and replace it.

Thanks eversomuch, that explains exactly what i needed to know.

So all i need do is source a good adapter, in mint condition - preferably black.

The only other option i could think of was to place a small thin piece of plastic onto the adapter in order to insulate it.

cheers, you're a life savour!