SD to CF Adapters (Do they Work at High Speeds?)

Henry Gentles

Just wondering if anyone has tried using something like a Sandisk Extreme 95mb/s SD with a CF Adapter(like the one on the link) to record Raw on 5D MK2 or MK3? Will this work or is there a loss of speed? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extreme-SD-SDHC-SDXC-To-CF-Type-II-2-Compact-Flash-Memory-Card-Adapter-Reader-/371135376385?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item5669646c01

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I always use Micro SD to SD adapters because Micro SDs are just sooooo tiny, you can store a few inside the memory card door. The adapters never had any effect on speed or performance of the Micro SDs, they shouldn't really. But I have not used SD to CF ones.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well I didn't record at high rates but I did test them via PC. I also shot on Micro SDs with the C100, 5D, 7D, D5300, GH4 and others... they never failed me. The adapter is just a plastic case, with connectors to connect the smaller pins to the bigger pins, they should not, and do not- have any impact on performance. I just re-tested a micro SD Sandisk extreme for this thread, with and without the SD adapter, they come out at the exact same numbers, identical, and that's a free adapter with no brand name, the cheapest they come. I don't know how SD to CF adapters work but I would assume they're the same, but I do NOT know that for a fact and I did NOT try them before, ever...

I have no idea about card speed requirements for magic lantern raw recording. Hopefully someone can chime in.

I have no idea about card speed requirements for magic lantern raw recording. Hopefully someone can chime in.

You need ultimate super duper über speed :) Like 100MB/s or more stable... SD cards like Sandisk 95MB/s are rated for their max speed, not continuous.