DevonChris

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

Is this your video Chris? A better encode would help - there is a lot of macro blocking so it's not really possible to see the quality of the details. There certainly doesn't seem to be much jump in overall detail/sharpness. There may be a bit more to the dynamic range and colour, but it's hard to tell without a side-by-side with the un-hacked codec. 

Nice video though!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Could you post a second of before/after the bitrate increase? And upload originals to Google drive or such. I still didn't decide whether to download the hack or not and it would help to see what it does before/after. 

Hi Matt

Thanks for the comments.

It is my video. I think the macro blocking must have occured during the Vimeo encode.

Were you watching the HD version on Vimeo? 

Chris

I downloaded the original so it's not the Vimeo encode.  I'd try uploading a higher bit rate file to Vimeo. 

Yes a brief side-by-side would be nice to see.

I downloaded the original so it's not the Vimeo encode.  I'd try uploading a higher bit rate file to Vimeo. 

Yes a brief side-by-side would be nice to see.

You are right. I must have uploaded the wrong version by mistake  :blink:

I'll replace it.  I'm not sure I'll get time to shoot a side by side comparison, but I will if I can.

I will PM you and Ebrahim a link to a 550 Mb version of this video, once its finished uploading!

Chris

Yes that's much more like it!

It still doesn't look much sharper than my D5300. It does have a "robust" feeling about it though. It's hard to come to any real conclusions without a side-by-side, but my guess is the hack functions much like the GH2 hack - no huge difference to the image, but more latitude for grading (and a bit less macro blocking in the shadows?). Highlights roll off nicely.

Mainly this is just reminding me what a great camera it is! Very nice colours and dynamic range.

You seem to have exposed your shots perfectly by the way, which is no small feat with a manual lens on the D5200!

Not the sharpest camera on the block, not the easiest to use, but it still ticks the important boxes for me ...

I've now uploaded a higher bit rate version to Vimeo. Sadly their max bit rate is only 20 mb/s and they have downgraded the video to 720p because of the large file size (330 Mb).

Mainly this is just reminding me what a great camera it is! Very nice colours and dynamic range.

Thanks for downloading that 0.5GB file, Matt.

As you say, the D5200 is really a great camera. I've not used a D5300 yet, but if it creates a similarly good image then I'm definitely interested in it for 50fps.

I like the S35 look that the D5200 gives and the organic looking images - not the sharpest, but pleasing to the eye. Also not much pp work is required as the colours are so good, which is great.

You seem to have exposed your shots perfectly by the way, which is no small feat with a manual lens on the D5200!

Thanks - takes a bit of practise.  

I use an external light meter (a great iPhone app) to get a feel for the light level at 1/50 shutter speed and the lowest ISO. I then take a still before shooting to check for blown highlights on image preview.

Chris