Panasonic GM2 rumored to have 4k

dahlfors

"I am 99% sure the next new Panasonic Micro Four Thirds camera will be a new GM2 with built-in EVF. It will be the world’s most compact system camera with built-in evf. And I am yet not 100% sure about that but one anonymous source said it has 4K video recording too!
It will likely cost more than the current GM1 which sells for $748 with lens at Amazon or with $100 discount as Open Box at Samys.
This will be the only new MFT camera coming from Panasonic. There will be also a Four Thirds sensor fixed lens camera (specs yet not known)."

This post has the 43rumors "FT5" classification (meaning 81-99% chance that the rumors are correct).

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-will-launch-a-new-gm2-with-built-in-evf/

This might become a very interesting camera...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

True that, very interesting.

I have also considered getting the GM1 in the past. You throw on the 12-35mm or the 14mm or 20mm pancake and you have a really minimalistic and compact way of getting awesome quality shots both for video and photography. It's even smaller than my LX7; and that's a compact camera. And the touchscreen lets you quickly set everything you need.

But I don't know, although it spiked my interest, I couldn't really be arsed to go out and buy me one.

However... an EVF... that would be cool! I was already waiting for the LX8 to take a crap on Sony's RX100M3, but a GM2... now, that would be something nice. Add that 4K on top of that and I'll almost be like 'shut up and take my money!'. :P

There really is a market for gear with superb image quality, that doesn't require you to hassle around with a lot of gear. A swiss army camera if you will. Since the pricedrop of the EOS-M, sneaking below 300 EUR, I almost considered to get that one. Just because of the little formfactor and you can throw Magic Lantern on there and still get quality shots like you would with a 550D or 600D. But the GM2 will be so much better. Especially if they nail the pricing (to be that of the GM1). I guess we'll see!

an EVF... that would be cool!

When needed, I put a hoodman loupe on mine for shooting outside.  I think this setup has better resolution than the EVF of the GX7.  I find it's pretty easy to focus anyway.  I also really appreciate the "not-a-pro" vibe I give off when shooting with the small form factor GM1, but the dang loupe is bigger than the camera!  

Still, as someone that shoots a lot of street documentary footage, looking innocuous is very important to me.  

At any rate, The camera gear from all manufacturers is getting nuts.  4K in a GM size?  C'mon, that's cool.  

When needed, I put a hoodman loupe on mine for shooting outside.  I think this setup has better resolution than the EVF of the GX7.  I find it's pretty easy to focus anyway.  I also really appreciate the "not-a-pro" vibe I give off when shooting with the small form factor GM1, but the dang loupe is bigger than the camera!  

Still, as someone that shoots a lot of street documentary footage, looking innocuous is very important to me.  

At any rate, The camera gear from all manufacturers is getting nuts.  4K in a GM size?  C'mon, that's cool.  

I have the GM1 and 20mm which does give excellent video quality, however I have two issues with it:

• Seeing the screen outside, so difficult to operate on manual - maybe I should try the hoodman loupe

• The biggest problem is getting stable shots as the camera is so small. I get much more stability handheld on my Nikon 5200 with three points of contact.

How do you achieve stable shots on your GM1 when shooting street documentaries?

When i use the GM1, I use my monopod with fluid head and wireless control to my iPhone. Not very innocuous!

How do you achieve stable shots on your GM1 when shooting street documentaries?

The most low-key and effective way I do things is to just shoot handheld.  It takes lots of practice to control the body to keep things steady, but I've learned to manage.

When I'm not using a loupe and want to appear more like a "tourist" --a simple trick I've used is to adjust my neck strap out so the camera is a foot or so away from my eyeballs then pull the strap taunt.  The camera stabilizes with the body.  Also, by then resting the body against something solid the lens will quiet down pretty good.

I also have a small bean bag that cradles the camera and is used for static shots.  Or, if a surface is smooth, the bag can be slid for a dolly.

Anyway, weird creative stuff like that will help get interesting shots.

When I'm not as concerned with appearances I'll put a pistol grip on the camera and the loupe.  With that pressure point up against the eye/head the framing is stable(ish).