[Rumors] New FF Nikon focused on action

Nikkor

Nikon will present another Fullframe camera. The rumor says it will be focused on "action".

Nikon currently has 3 new FF bodies that cover all the stills photography needs (d610,d810,d4s)

If you read forums like dpreview you know the limited mentality and the consecuent feelings that a lot of consumers have towards video . The response to this was the nikon Df without video features, so it would make perfect sense for Nikon to release a more video/speed focused camera.

I personally hope it has an oled placed inside the viewfinder in case you want to shoot with electronic shutter, 4K video is a must to be taken seriously, maybe even 120fps 1080p. That would be some action camera.

Although the current guessed specs say 24mp, the A7s sensor would be the obvious choice for this.

These are the guessed specs:

• 24MP full frame sensor
  • Tilting LCD screen
  • Wi-Fi support
  • Expeed 4 imaging processor
  • Very light body (probably similar to the D610 and Df, maybe even lighter)
  • Priced around $2,500 (the current Nikon FX camera price points are - D610: $1,896.95, Df: $2,746.95, D810: $3,296.95, D4s: $6,496.95)
  • Potential announcement at the end of August or early September
  • No idea on the model name - it could be D620, D750 or something completely differen

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/11/the-upcoming-nikon-full-frame-dslr-camera-will-be-marketed-as-an-action-camera.aspx/

Maybe Andrew is already shooting it and that's the reason why he isn't showing up on the forums :P

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

If canon introduces the ultimate APS-C action camera (which it will), it would be a must for Nikon to also introduce a D300 successor for action/sports, otherwise will lose a very big market. 

Where video fits in all of this? as much as the companies want. Canon could completely ignore video on the 7D, line skip or something and keep the C100 as the upgrade path for video, or they could make the ultimate s35 Canon DSLR for video (which I expect, and hope).

I want a s35 Canon DSLR I can use all my Canon lenses on fully, with no aliasing/moire, Canon colours, and great low-light performance.

It looks like the 7D successor is going to be a significant product for Canon, and they waited 5 years for it so makes sense. Talk about "entirely new sensor technology" being introduced in the next 7D, and "next generation of Dual pixel AF", could that mean exceptional resolution? or dynamic range? or low-light performance? all of them? There's talk it's going to be a mini 1D style body with an integrated battery grip and 1D top plate, maybe 10 fps? I am waiting for the 7D successor in Photokina and quite optimistic about it.

The current D4S is already an action focussed DSLR though! Makes no sense.

The D4S is an expensive 'pro' camera. Like the Df, it's not really a mainstream camera bought by the masses. Therefore something clearly cheaper tagged with buzzwords like action might seem to "make sense" from Nikon's POV. Although I think that a rumour making sense is an oxymoron. 

Apparently the action buzzword means yet another dSLR with higher top ISO number, slightly faster and more low light tolerant AF with umphty-nine AF spots and frames per second in continuous mode, maybe with some basic video features slapped on. Ho hum. 

Nevertheless, this is just a mere rumour so far, and arguing whether or not a rumour makes sense is a bit pointless, isn't it.

Wake me up if Nikon actually release something genuinely new and interesting. Vague rumours aren't enough.

... the silhouette looks more like a cropcam, no room for a pentaprism, so maybe...?

That is just a D4S that Nikonrumors admin has brushed and used for illustration purposes. The image has nothing to do with the upcoming camera.

...And yes. It is an odd move for Nikon to add yet another full frame sensor camera to their lineup that already has 4 full frame sensor cameras. Nikonrumors admin rate the rumor at 70% probability. He's known for fairly accurate predictions throughout history. So, I think the camera is coming and that Nikon soon will have 5 full frame cameras in their lineup.

Will be weird if the new one has a main focus on stills like the rest of the full frame cameras. I think it is likely that Nikon tries to segment one product more towards video.

Could it also be that Nikon is testing new grounds, and that this new full frame camera is a mirrorless? If so - it would make a lot more sense with a fifth full frame camera in the lineup!

Tilting LCD Screen - sounds like it should be useful for video, not the usual Nikon stills crowd that want optical viewfinders.

Very light body - could be built around similar body as Nikon Df - or it could mean that it is a mirrorless.

If it isn't a camera somewhat in this direction, I must agree with Nikonrumors admin: "I have hard time understanding what Nikon is trying to achieve with this model - the Nikon Df is already positioned between the D610 and D810."

If canon introduces the ultimate APS-C action camera (which it will), it would be a must for Nikon to also introduce a D300 successor for action/sports, otherwise will lose a very big market. 

Where video fits in all of this? as much as the companies want. Canon could completely ignore video on the 7D, line skip or something and keep the C100 as the upgrade path for video, or they could make the ultimate s35 Canon DSLR for video (which I expect, and hope).

I want a s35 Canon DSLR I can use all my Canon lenses on fully, with no aliasing/moire, Canon colours, and great low-light performance.

It looks like the 7D successor is going to be a significant product for Canon, and they waited 5 years for it so makes sense. Talk about "entirely new sensor technology" being introduced in the next 7D, and "next generation of Dual pixel AF", could that mean exceptional resolution? or dynamic range? or low-light performance? all of them? There's talk it's going to be a mini 1D style body with an integrated battery grip and 1D top plate, maybe 10 fps? I am waiting for the 7D successor in Photokina and quite optimistic about it.

Canon says those magic words for every upcoming announcement.  

I personally hope it has an oled placed inside the viewfinder in case you want to shoot with electronic shutter, 4K video is a must to be taken seriously, maybe even 120fps 1080p. That would be some action camera.

Lol.  No.  That is quite an extrapolation from one sentence in the whole rumor article.

I also expect a higher fps rate than the D610/D810 and improved video recording capabilities.

How anyone can get 4K and 120fps 1080p from that I don't know.  Knowing Canon and Nikon's history with video it will probably me a couple of tweaks.  By which I mean ML will still provide way more than either company does in their stock devices.