GM1 Warning Shutter Breaks Easily

maxotics

I carry around the GM1 in a CaseLogic belt-case.  A couple of months ago I dropped it, while in case, turned off, onto a carpeted floor.  I couldn't have dropped it more than 3 feet; that is

IT WAS ABOUT AS GENTLE A DROP AS I CAN IMAGINE.  

The shutter stopped working.  The GM1 gives that "turn off, turn on" message whenever "silent mode" is OFF.  The camera still works in silent shutter mode and video.  I sent the camera back to Panasonic hoping for a little mercy but no dice.  They wanted $275 to fix it.  

In short, I would either be VERY CAREFUL if you have a GM1, or not buy it for any situations where the camera is going to get knocked (unless you don't care about the physical shutter).  Now I know what trade-offs they made to make a camera so small and light ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Now I know what trade-offs they made to make a camera so small and light

Mine's still okay and I've done worse to it.  Sometimes the dramatic impacts are the least physical and visa versa.  I've fallen from a tree branch 20 feet up and walked away without a scratch; slipped once in the bedroom and broke my ankle.  Go figure.

Anyway, good to hear you GM1 is still working, even if it's just silent mode.

Yes, I agree it's all in the angle, just like car accidents.  The camera fell on its top left corner.  I think if it has been a flat-fall, relative to the shutter it would have been okay.  Silent mode is the best thing about the camera so I'm glad that's still working!  

My guess is I can drop my GF3 down a flight of stairs and it will come out fine too.  The first thing I thought when I got the GM1 was "Wow is this thing small and light (almost cheap feeling)."  I had the 14mm pancake on it when I dropped it.  The housing near the flash became a tiny bit warped and a small crack appeared in the black plastic whatever on the corner.  Very small, but the camera looks like it fell down the stairs.  I'm torn about what to feel.  On the one hand, I dropped the camera and a fact is a fact.  Panasonic shouldn't have to replace every broken camera.  On the other hand, it's an EXPENSIVE camera and I took the time to explain what happened to Panasonic and I had no idea the camera was so flimsy so feel they bear some of the responsibility.  

My conclusion is I wouldn't recommend this is an only camera to someone with limited funds.  For portable video, it's still kick-ass ;)

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but didn't really want to make a new one. I had my GX7 fixed a couple weeks ago after the shutter just randomly locked up and wouldn't open again. Something to do with a circuity malfunction. It was out of warranty and cost me about £150 to fix. However it also fixed the dead pixels I had on the sensor :)

Which means they replaced the camera.  I think if there wasn't noticeable damage on my GM1 they might have fixed it.  That's another thing to keep in mind.  I don't know about the GX7, but the metal housing of the GM1 is extremely thin.  Which means if you knock it even slightly it will probably get dented. Again, this is a benefit if you want the lightest possible camera.  However, it also means that even if the GM1 develops an internal problem they may blame it on you.  

Sounds like you basically got a new GX7 for 150 pounds.  That's good!