Best 1080p HD image quality native - D810 vs A7s vs 1D X -

lafilm

Did some comparisons with the a7S and D610 on the dpreview site, this time for stills.  The a7S JPG's have similar color problems as the video.  Surprisingly, when I changed the format to raw, the a7S color problems went away.  Skin tones looked fine, and other colors looked good, too  I think it boils down to Sony's JPG and video color processing stinks.

Michael

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lafilm,

You misunderstood me. I am simply saying I did not see or read Mr. Bloom's review of the 1D X. I can neither confirm nor deny what you posted in regards to that review. However, I did recently watch his review of the a7s and your one out of context quote didn't, IMHO, give the complete picture. I don't have time stamps but he reiterated that the camera displayed rolling shutter something like 10 times in 15 seconds. He then went on to say something like years from now when scientists want to explain to people what rolling shutter is once its been eliminated from the world they will just show them footage from a 1D X. That is significant. Not necessarily a deal breaker. But something that should be mentioned. Unfortunately the technology is such that all these cameras are a compromise. They can't be summed up in one sentence. And certainly not one sentence by Mr. Bloom. He is the master of rambling. I enjoy his videos and get a lot out of them. But I wouldn't just quote one sentence he said in a 48 minute rabbling diatribe. Particular when a later sentence tells any amateur that wants to record their kids game or their kid running around that this camera is not for them. If it works for you great. But as it is, it has at least one serious issue for me.

I really don't think colour science is a worthy cause to want/not want any camera. I mean people shoot flat with almost no colour or contrast all the time and then put a grade over it. You can get what ever colours you want. More cameras (including the Alphas) are popping up with WB Tint control now too.

hm, not even with raw in my eyes.

I once had a still cam which was a bit too saturate for my taste - I had to add a desaturated layer in PS.

o/c it could be just me, but colour rendition is always the very first I look at every cam, maybe a relict of being a stills shooter for a looong time

RAW is not really RAW as rawlight that comes trhough the lens, but it's the data that get read on the sensor which applies different gains to different pixels,different readoutmethods, different bit depth readout, different filter coloring,etc...

Anyway, seems like NIKON is going to present another new FX camera, this one will be cheaper than the d810, will have 24MP, and an articulated screen. I guess this is going to be the video camera from nikon, maybe even 4K, who knows.

Which is the best HD image out of the three? I think if you know what you're doing with lighting and grading then the Sony A7s is the best. I've seen some amazing footage from that camera and some pretty average footage too, so it's definitely not a straight forward run and gun camera. It gives you more dynamic range than the other 2 (especially with S-Log2) and is much more versatile in shooting in low light. It's also pretty detailed though perhaps not as sharp as the GH4 or even the new Nikon D610. 

I think the Sony A7s opens up more creative opportunities than any other camera i've seen for shooting video. While the GH4 may have internal 4k, better ergonomics and battery life, the A7s allows you to capture moments the GH4, 1DX and other cameras simply can't. 

I would sell my 5D mark 3 tomorrow and buy the Sony if there were more FE native glass available for photography purposes, or if they figure out a way to make the autofocus work well on the metabones EF adapters. 

I think you guys just don't know how to grade/shoot and blame cameras for your mistakes. Seriously. How else can someone use any RAW capable camera and say "I can't get the colors I want!"?

So show us how it's done ...

I also think the a7S is out for an amateur, because most amateurs do not have the time or skill to fix the colors.  In fact, even though the pros are excited by the a7S, it doesn't seem like they have a handle on fixing the colors either, at least for daytime shots.  The Nikon colors are good right out of the box.

Michael

Pros also want, or shall I rewrite that, require the colors to be good out of the box. Nobody doesn't want to spend time searching for the right color in post-production. It's too easy to mess up and deliver a picture or a shot with the colors off. 

Out the 3 in the list, I would say then Canon 1DX has the top 1080p image

A lot of different views here which is somehow surprising to me. 

I would like to see some color out of the A7s (without post pro) that looks or feels similar to the D810. Not sure its possible, however if you are adapt at co correc than the point is moot.

Hopefully some different examples (less green/yellow/washed out look) will surface soon to see if its even possible. Non s-log users please respond.

• 6 months later...