a6000 vs g6 vs used 600d

Kangaroo

Just a warning about ETC on the G6: it's great in good light, but any shadows/low light shows very severe purple banding. This can be dealt with to an extent with Neat Video. Just don't think ETC will always be as good as standard mode.

Are you looking at MFT lenses or manual primes?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm looking for a manual nikon prime so if in the future I'll buy a nikon camera I can use the same lenses, a 50mm should be ok but I'd like to have something very sharp 

Edit: I've found the olympus 45mm 1.8 for 200€

Edit2: There no switch for pal/ntsc so only 50p...that's kind of annoying

50mm f1.8 AI-S is the best tradeoff between speed and sharpness. I bought that one. The f1.4 and f1.2 50's are not too sharp wide open.

There is a pancake version and a non-pancake. They're not much different apart from build quality and size of focus ring. They're both small anyway, so compliment the G6 nicely. And they're cheap. 

The 28mm f2.8 AI-S is the sharpest Nikkor you'll find, and is a very good "normal" focal length for the G6. f2.8 isn't super-fast, but if you can live with that it's probably the one to go for.

So I finally decided:

I'm gonna get the g6+14-42 on amazon, it's 550€ but there's a lens that I can use to understand what focal lenght I want on m43 and it's also stabilized, and I have 30 days to send the camera back if don't like it :)

I decided to buy the g6 so in the future if I want something better for stills or low light I could get a cheap d3300(or d5300) and still be able to use it as a b camera for video with the nikon lenses that I'm gonna buy for the g6.

I'm also gonna get the Fujian 35 1.7 right now because it's 20€ with the adpter ahah

thanks to everyone!

That's honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about Panasonic's prices (GH4=4K pro video camera for $1600!!!)! This is a filmmaking forum after all. Panasonic are the only company making true hybrid cameras. Sony coming a close second ...

I was talking about the G7X only! Do you think it's OK that (based on amazon prices) the GX7 costs €840 body only with a great 1080p60 video but on a m43 sensor where pictures will be undoubtedly worse than the say the nikon d5200 or sony a6000 that have medium to decent video but great pictures quality on APC-S sensor but for €300 less? I don't think I'm spoiled, I think that considering the smaller sensor and notsogood pictures quality the Panasonics should cost the same since you gain from a point and lose from another. Don't you think?

The G6 is more balanced.

@Kangaroo where do you live?

Anyway I would honestly buy the G6 today but as I said, I would totally be a problem the lack widelenses for less $ for me :(

I was talking about the G7X only! Do you think it's OK that (based on amazon prices) the GX7 costs €840 body only with a great 1080p60 video but on a m43 sensor where pictures will be undoubtedly worse than the say the nikon d5200 or sony a6000 that have medium to decent video but great pictures quality on APC-S sensor but for €300 less? I don't think I'm spoiled, I think that considering the smaller sensor and notsogood pictures quality the Panasonics should cost the same since you gain from a point and lose from another. Don't you think?

The G6 is more balanced.

@Kangaroo where do you live?

Anyway I would honestly buy the G6 today but as I said, I would totally be a problem the lack widelenses for less $ for me :(

Wow, in the UK Amazon sell the GX7 for £530 (about 650 euro)!

My point was that you are comparing their prices as stills cameras, but the Panasonics are true hybrid cameras. Video is as prioritised as photo, so you can't just ignore that aspect of them when comparing prices. Canon and Nikon APSC cameras have video function as an add-on - an afterthought (and neither company seem to care much about it), but granted their stills are better. 

I wasn't calling you spoiled by the way. I meant we are ALL spoiled for choice. All of these cameras are pretty good. If the GX7 isn't worth the price to you, don't buy it. If you want excellent stills and video function, get an a6000. But that camera has some issues too. There are no perfect cameras. But they are all pretty amazing ...

Aperture depends entirely on the lens (and adapter) you use.

You need to decide what your priorities are: Decide if video or stills are your main area of interest, even if the balance is just 60/40 one way or the other. Decide if resolution or low light is your priority for video. Decide what kind of shooting situations you are going to be in. Decide what it is you want to learn. This will make your choice for you. If you don't do this, or you want a camera that does all things, you will be on this forum forever ...

Being a G6 and D5300 owner (and previously a Canon 600D), the best advice I can offer, in all honesty, is to buy a G6. It's a beautiful, cheap, pocketable video camera. You'll need to give it time to learn how to get a good image out of it, but if you do I guarantee you will never regret it. Even if you go on to decide you prefer larger sensors and better low light, dynamic range etc, you will always know what it is to use a camera that has been designed to make filmmakers smile. And then you will always nod your head whenever anybody complains about DSLR/M functionality, and why people get so passionate about Panasonic. There's a reason why so many real filmmakers (not to mention one brilliant Cannes-conquering film) use the GH2. And the G6 is basically an improved version of that camera ...

That's just my opinion. If you want great stills, the G6 is not for you. Stills from it are great, but they don't get anyone really excited.

Just bought the g6 at a local store for 490€ with the kit lens, it's so tiny! Coming from a dslr I really don't like the EVF

You'd prefer to shoot video through an optical viewfinder?

I bought my 550D for video only, the pictures part for me is an add-on. Would you exchange your g6 for the a6000? Why not/yes?

No because I have a D5300, which has a similar but better image than the a6000, if a bit more frustrating to use. I think you'd be happy with either, but I've never used an a6000.