a6000 vs g6 vs used 600d

Kangaroo

Hi everyone :)

It's been 1 year since I lost interest in photography and switched to video and right now I've got a 5d mk II

I must say that it's an awesome camera for stills but I almost hate using the 5d for video these days, it's sooo soft, moire and aliasing everywhere and no 60fps, not even at 720p :( ...also the camera and FF lenses are heavy and it's a 1000€ camera ( that's the price of a used 5dII where I live).

I've already sold 2 lenses ( 85mm and 14mm samyang) and I'm trying to sell the 5d with the 50mm this week, I don't like to have a 1000€ camera that I don't use or that it' worse than a 500€ g6...now I need to buy something because I'd like to join the "summer in" contest before summer ends  :P

I've seen a lot of reviews of G6 and a6000 but there's 1 year difference between the two so I don't really know how good is the g6 compred to the a6000, 

What I need is a "cheap" camera so I can invest money in lenses and other stuff like a slider, I'd like to have 60fps and also a decent photo quality, it would be awesome to have also decent low light performance but maybe I'm asking too much :D  

-the canon 600d which is very cheap(used),  tons of used canon lenses online, but no 1080p 60fps, it's big compered to the other 2 and not so great low light performance plus moire/aliasing, good photo quality, I can get this camera with the tamron 17-50 2.8 for 600€  ( I love this lens), to me this camera has the same quality of the 5d2 besides low light and dof.

-the panasonic gf6, is 200€ cheaper than the a6000 (new), almost good as the gh3 plus some features (focus peaking, wifi fully working etc),1080p 60fps, smaller than the 600d but bigger than the a6000 but it's not that good for photos, worst low light performance and less lenses than the 600d...difficult to get very wide shots wih the m4/3 sensor.

-the a6000 seems to be very good, it's compact, almost no moire and antialiasing , 1080p 60fps, peaking, zembras, good low light performance but it's the most expensive, poor lenses choice unless you go fo the most expensive zeiss and no mic input (not a big deal for my usage).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

welcome to the forum , I use the G6 and it is a superb camera plus once you have glass for micro 4/3 when the time comes to get a 4K G4 it will all carry over to a G4 with no issues

ps its not difficult to get wide shots on micro 4/3 just get the superb panasonic 14mm lens and the stunning olympus 17mm  both are cheap and readily available on ebay

low light on the g6 works great use f1.4 lens and it kicks ass

Fujinon 24mm f1,4

sigma 30mm f1.4

canon 50mm f1.4

carl zeiss 50mm f1.4

Tokina ATX PRO 28-70mm f2.6 on a Lens Turbo speedbooster makes it f1.6 and great in low light

I've concluded that there is a physical trade-off between MFT and APS-C sensor cameras--has little to do with manufacturer.  The MFT is sharper, less moire, less rolling shutter, etc.  APS-C/FF is better in low light and has a shallower DOF, however it is MORE moire, rolling shutter etc.  If I was shooting mostly video I would go with a Panasonic solution like Andy suggests.  In the past year, everything Andy has said has borne out to be right in my experience.  I have both a GM1 and a6000.  The GM1 is a better video camera, the a6000 a better stills camera (due to larger sensor size).  As for Bui's suggestion of going ML, I agree, that will give you some seriously awesome footage, but the file-sizes, and time involved, are immense--might be good for you.  Don't know what you want to shoot.  If you want the best bang-for-the-buck interchangeable lens video equipment Panasonic is the way to go.

I'd go for the pansonic but I'm scared about photos ( i still like to take some pictrìures sometimes) and from what I've seen I cannot go above 800 iso... what about the d5300? I've seen that it has a very nice sensor!

I've already tried ML on the 5d2, it ok for peaking and stuff like that but shooting in raw for me is too much of a mess and I won't get any 60fps  :mellow:

Blackmagic pocket cinema camera is on sale for $495 at B&H.  Order it now and allegely you should have it sometime in September.  B&H website seems to say sale ends today.  I don't know how true that is.

B&H ships overseas if that is an issue.

BMPCC only shoots video but since it is only $495 you can afford to have it and a photography camera too.

g6 sensor is better then the GH3 sensor - we had months discussing this here on this forum when they both came out

The g6 uses the steller sensor from the classic gh2 , Panasonic have just massively improved the codec on the g6 so you dont need to hack the camera like we all did on the gh2

So g6 is even better that the gh3 O_O? From what I've seen/read the gh3 has more "details", better codec and better low light performance 

It's marginal. Compared to the current competition they are virtually equal. There's plenty of info out there on both cameras. 

If you want superb stills and very good video, get the D5200 or D5300. Check my vimeo link below - I have a load of tests of the D5300, some comparing it to the G6. 

It's marginal. Compared to the current competition they are virtually equal. There's plenty of info out there on both cameras.

If you want superb stills and very good video, get the D5200 or D5300. Check my vimeo link below - I have a load of tests of the D5300, some comparing it to the G6.

I've seen all your videos and I must say that the d5300 is impressive... What are the advantages of the g6?how annoying is the fact that you can't control the aperture in live view?

I've seen all your videos and I must say that the d5300 is impressive... What are the advantages of the g6?how annoying is the fact that you can't control the aperture in live view?

I use mostly manual primes with manual aperture rings so it's a non-issue for me, but I do have a couple without aperture rings and don't find it a problem at all. I don't ever change aperture while filming really. 

D5300

Pros:

Lovely Nikon colour science

Low light performance very good

Super 35 size sensor

Dynamic range very good when using flat profile

Almost no aliasing or moire

Superb stills

Cons:

Detail is OK but not great (better than 600D, worse than G6)

Doesn't have many video features making it rather awkward to use compared to G6

G6

Pros:

Loads of detail

A pleasure to shoot with (peaking, nice EVF, good ergonomics)

Nice rich colours in well-lit situations

Cons:

Dynamic range is low (shadows can be lifted a little)

Doesn't do well in poor light - colours suffer in any situation other than bright light imo.

If you're not bothered about sound I'd look at a GX7. Colours, low light and DR are better than the G6 as far as I can see.

I must say that the d5300 is very tempting...I've seen that it's almost like a 5d3 and is "only" 650€, it has a great dynamic range+great low light.

In your videos I don't see that much difference in terms of details but maybe it's only the compression, that's the only thing that make me think about the g6.

Another vote for the G6 from me, I picked up a second-hand one a month or so ago and love it. 

In the past I've used an NEX-5N, NEX 6, a Nikon D5200.

I love the detail and the colour of the G6. It's just a proper, solid 1080p image, with a good deal less moire, rolling shutter, softness, than some other cameras I've tried. I found with the other (APSC) cameras I wasn't quite getting that, and I'd end up just taking photos as I wasn't satisfied with the video (tho the D5200 comes in a close second IQ wise. I sold it for the ergonomic issues with video). I haven't tried the latest generation APSC cameras like the D5300 or the A6000 though.

There are a lot of fast (1.7 aperture etc), relatively inexpensive primes for M4/3, so I haven't noticed the low light issues mentioned above. Also, check out this ISO noise test, ISO 640 is very clean:

The ergonomics and feature-set for video on the G6 are the best I've used on a hybrid camera. Last night I just discovered the picture-in-picture manual focus aid (I guess newer Panny bodies like the GX7 and the GH4 would also have this?) 

Another thing to look into would be the D5200 with the new hack. It looks like the hack is giving the D5200 a more detailed image. The D5300 hasn't been hacked yet but the Nikon Hacker people seem to think it should be straightforward once Nikon release a firmware update ...

I used my D5200 yesterday for stills, which is the first time for months as it has sat on the shelf ever since I bought a GM1 in May.

I was surprised how easy the 5200 is to use (viewfinder) and how effortless it is to take great stills.

I am now really tempted to try the hack and see how good it can be for video. It was going to go up for sale, but not any more!

The GM1 is fantastic for stills and video (particularly with Contax glass), but I do sometimes struggle with its form factor.

Chris

welcome to the forum , I use the G6 and it is a superb camera plus once you have glass for micro 4/3 when the time comes to get a 4K G4 it will all carry over to a G4 with no issues

ps its not difficult to get wide shots on micro 4/3 just get the superb panasonic 14mm lens and the stunning olympus 17mm  both are cheap and readily available on ebay

low light on the g6 works great use f1.4 lens and it kicks ass

Fujinon 24mm f1,4

sigma 30mm f1.4

canon 50mm f1.4

carl zeiss 50mm f1.4

Tokina ATX PRO 28-70mm f2.6 on a Lens Turbo speedbooster makes it f1.6 and great in low light

Yeah it's not difficult to get wide look on m43, you just have to spend a lot of money!

As for me I see no point in going with the 600D, it's the same old shit over and over. 

I would get the a6000 for the big sensor and better video quality than the old Canon. The lenses selection is limited though.

The G6 is the best for video quality but being drawn to wide lenses and low light scenes I see the m43 can't compete, unless again you have thousands of euros to spend on lenses.

Yeah it's not difficult to get wide look on m43, you just have to spend a lot of money!

As for me I see no point in going with the 600D, it's the same old shit over and over. 

I would get the a6000 for the big sensor and better video quality than the old Canon. The lenses selection is limited though.

The G6 is the best for video quality but being drawn to wide lenses and low light scenes I see the m43 can't compete, unless again you have thousands of euros to spend on lenses.

a6000 has fairly poor low light performance. Especially in comparison to the D5300.

I agree 600D would be a ridiculous "upgrade" from the 5D2.