Movie Film, at Death's Door, Gets a Reprieve

sunyata

Based on the chart below, I'm not sure how much longer it can last, but for now, under pressure from several directors, including Quentin Tarantino (of course), Christopher Nolan, Judd Apatow, and J.J. Abrams; the studios have all agreed to pre-purchase film stock from Kodak.

Article was in the WSJ, this after Kodak recently emerged from bankruptcy:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/kodak-movie-film-at-deaths-door-gets-a-reprieve-1406674752?tesla=y

P1-BQ856_FILM_G_20140729173906.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Based on the chart below, I'm not sure how much longer it can last, but for now, under pressure from several directors, including Quentin Tarantino (of course), Christopher Nolan, Judd Apatow, and J.J. Abrams; the studios have all agreed to pre-purchase film stock from Kodak.

Article was in the WSJ, this after Kodak recently emerged from bankruptcy:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/kodak-movie-film-at-deaths-door-gets-a-reprieve-1406674752?tesla=y

P1-BQ856_FILM_G_20140729173906.jpg

dead…??   more like film is drop dead gorgeous…!!   and a half billion is a half a billion WOW

note:  yes the best picture for feature films…but also advertisements…when a roll of 16mm or two rolls of 35mm might be all you need

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

They're resuscitating the corpse.

If Kodak wants to live they should enter the digital age, otherwise it's getting quite sad pushing that obsolete old technology for a couple of people in hollywood. 

If Kodak wants to live they should enter the digital age

Based on what I've seen with that corporation, I'm curious if they actually do want to live.  I get the impression that the investors that are still left mostly just value the brand and not the actual physical company, products, and employees.

It seems to me they're trying to tread water with lead shoes.  They really can't manage to go anywhere, best they can do is to keep from drowning.

When a couple of kids can release a digital camera that rivals your own design and development, (DBolex) you know you got issues.

If Kodak wants to live they should enter the digital age, otherwise it's getting quite sad pushing that obsolete old technology for a couple of people in hollywood. 

The funny thing is that they actually were the ones that kind of started the digital age. My first digital camera was a Kodak and it was horrible.

And yet we are all always chasing the 'filmic' look...

That's very much changing.  It doesn't bother the Japanese, for instance...and I'd say the modern blockbuster movies don't look all that much like the traditional 70's-90's "film look" anymore either.  Even the ones that are shot on actual film.

it will be gone for good in the next few years - the cost associated with it is too great in today climate .

I shot on film for 15 years and I dont miss it at all.

I dont miss negative insurance and long drives to Soho and Todd AO in Camden in the middle of the night to telecine cans of film I had just picked up from being developed .

Shooting Super 16 film and all that it entails added an extra £5000 in costs onto every pop video I shot !

and when we shot 35mm well you can treble that in costs making each video around 50k all in if it was on 35mm ......never again!!

complete overkill !!

Kodak film division still profitable

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/kodak-film-division-still-profitable-1056833

I wonder how their digital camera division is doing.  Kodak has had financial problems in the past but not because you can't make and sell film profitably.  Ilford is doing just fine selling just B&W film.

It's opinions like these that make the format obsolete.  It is only recently that 35mm film has seen a close match in resolving power.  65mm film has no equal, and won't do for many years.  It's an expensive format, but don't tell me the ridiculous budgets on crap movies like Prometheus couldn't have accommodated the costs.  These 'couple of people' in hollywood are about the only ones making anything of artistic value at the moment within hollywood.  Prometheus would have probably been good if Ridley had been under pressure to make the film stock count.

That said, I contacted Kodak requesting I have a rep contact me about purchase of 1000ft of 65mm film about 2 months ago.  I got no reply.  Assuming they're in trouble you'd expect any custom is good custom!     

I got no reply.  Assuming they're in trouble you'd expect any custom is good custom!     

The Kodak corporation is a corporate zombie.  There's certainly not much brain power left in upper management, and even if there was, brand value is all they have left to deal.

It was a more or less a walking corpse two decades ago when they were unable to pivot with the market.  

With Fuji out of film manufacturing and Kodak is disarray, the studios are going to have to buy the technology, patents, and hardware if they want to keep it going.  I can't imagine a small niche company investing in the licensing and materials to service such a limited market.

It's gotta go "in house," doesn't it?

If studios and directors demand the glory of film, I kinda think they're gonna have to make it happen themselves.

Meanwhile the rest of the industry has adopted digital as a pragmatic and welcomed standard, for better or worse.