Sony RX100 III - video mode?

gregor

Hello

Do you use MK3 to shoot videos? If yes, can you please tell me which settings do you use?

For example, how do you set up your camera for everyday videos, for action (sport) videos, for night videos ...?

Do you use xavc-s or avchd format?

Do you maybe use flat picture profile and edit videos later in video editors? How to set up flat picture profile for this camera?

I really do not know where to start. So many settings, options.

This is my first digital camera with decent video. This is the reason for so many questions :-)

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I read youur post. Nice writing, thank you. :)

I have some basic question. I was reading that if for example I take video in 25 fps then shutter speed must be 1/50, 60p fps = 1/100 ...

So, if I shoot fast action sport (motocross) can I stil use these shutter speeds?

Can I use program auto or shutter priority to shoot sport video or any other video. I see that you recommend manual mode but I don't know how can I adjust setting during video shooting.

Regarding focusing, camera is set to continous AF, is this ok? Is it possible to shoot sport video with manual AF?

Thank you.

Kind regards

I have some basic question. I was reading that if for example I take video in 25 fps then shutter speed must be 1/50, 60p fps = 1/100 ...

So, if I shoot fast action sport (motocross) can I stil use these shutter speeds?

For 25fps you should use 1/50 shutter.

For 60fps you should use 1/120 shutter, basically double it.

This is just a rule of thumb though, there's specific situations where you'd shoot differently.

For instance, if shooting 25fps in America with artificial lighting where current is 60hz, you might avoid flickering by shooting 25fps with a 1/60 shutter.

It doesn't matter how fast the action is, if you want to shoot cinematic looking smooth footage, that's the rule.

Using faster shutters would result in less motion blur, but with a different look.

Can I use program auto or shutter priority to shoot sport video or any other video. I see that you recommend manual mode but I don't know how can I adjust setting during video shooting.

If you want to control the results you should use manual mode.

Read the manual, learn how to use the camera, there's only a handful of buttons, don't let that affect your videos!

If you're shooting in a situation where lights change a lot, then maybe you could use shutter priority, lock the shutter at 1/50 for 25fps and let the camera figure out the aperture.

Regarding focusing, camera is set to continous AF, is this ok? Is it possible to shoot sport video with manual AF?

It's possible to shoot anything with manual focus, that will depend on your skills. :)

If you're talking about tough rack focus shots, it's quite a small and fiddly camera, which might make it more difficult.

As for AF, it should be fine, but I don't know how fast it is.

Assign manual focus to the lens wheel and turn focus peaking on, then practice and see what kind of results.

For all these questions though, just get out there and shoot, try all modes, then study the results.

In the end, there's no rules.