GH4 Noise test

Timo Hurtig

You can download the original video by clicking the Download button below the player. You can clearly see the fine noise.

I really very much doubt the aliasing is from shooting 1080p. I have been shooting with the gh3 and gx7 and never seen such bad aliasing.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

We have a GH4 and the aliasing in that video looks like 1080p for this camera. We pretty much only shoot in 4K and have never seen aliasing like that.

Looking at the test charts shot by Adam Wilt: http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/review-panasonic-dmc-gh4-camera.html/2 also shows only minor high frequency aliasing with 4K scaled to HD, whereas 1080p has aliasing (quote from Adam Wilt's article for the GH4 1080p chart):

This looks pretty much like a GH3′s FHD image: around 675-700 TVl/ph or so, aliasing sets in. Chroma moiré is present, but at a low enough level that it’s not normally a problem. FHD images look sharp, but fine details or repeating patterns – fences, grilles, woven fabrics, roof shingles or brickwork seen from afar – will sometimes show a bit of coarseness and aliasing.

Back to the Topic: I checked the test made by Brian Mulligan and tried out the "low-noise" Cine D settings. Still, I can see noise noise noise filming in ISO200. Not in the blacks but a lot of color noise. 

http://bkmeditor.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/panasonic-gh4-iso-noise-tests/

I think I will check out a local dealer and compare my camera to a camera in the store to have some certainty.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very helpful but still, even with the recommended cine-like-D-low-noise settings, I see lots of noise filming at ISO 200 in day light situations, over- or under exposed. I will contact my dealer know to send the camera for a service. 

I am in a similar boat, but like another poster here I can't help but still love it..! I completely agree with you about the noise in some situations where I wouldn't expect noise, it's surprised me as well. Even in the trees in daylight at ISO 200-400. It does bother me for sure. It cleans up with Neat Video and some added film grain covers up any issues, but it is very annoying. I have the A7s too and it (obviously) blows it out of the water, but you would expect it to be comparable at lower ISOs. Ah well, I still have lots to learn about tweaking the profiles, master pedestal, highlights/shadows etc.. I'll try and post my findings here too. Cheers TImo.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue with my GH4......but I'm wondering.....Could the cards we're using be the issue?

If I'm shooting 4k but not to fast enough cards, couldn't be a loss of information that might take the look of digital noise?

I've been shooting onto 32gb Sandisk 45mb/s cards......maybe that just isn't fast enough to retain all of the information being recorded?

• 1 year later...
On 22.7.2014 at 11:05 AM, Timo Hurtig said:

Hey there,

I did a quick noise test with the GH4 and I'm really concerned about the bad noise behavior of this camera. 

Not sure if it's a general issue or if it's maybe my camera only. I'm really wondering as the camera has noise issues filming in ISO200 which I believe can't be correct so I assume my GH4 has a faulty sensor. 

This is the video: 

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Timo

I have the exact same problem. Please check this out. It's a test I made and there is a lot of noise in the video, even though I was shooting wide opened.