BlackMagic FW update 1.8.2 adds ProRes422 and ProResLT

Axel

... and Proxy, for what reason ever.

There are already test clips on the net, confirming what longtime Apple users suspected anyway:

ProRes422 - quite a robust data rate (Arri Amiras default codec), @ 122 mbps (compared to 184 mbps ProResHQ) probably surviving serious grading.

ProResLT - @85 mbps sufficient for "longplay", if you just do a simple primary CC it will be visually indistinguishable to HQ and double the recording time to a 64 GB SD card to stunning 1h 10 minutes!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why should a bayer sensor do 4:4:4? It doesn't have 4:4:4 color information anyway.

I'm not expert, and I see what you mean. But i thought that chroma sampling happened after the debayer: the debayer gives you RGB for each "pixel".  Chroma sampling cuts down on the color information for each pixel. Going from 444 to 422 you should reduce the bitrate by about a third.  

I think the Alexa has a bayer pattern as well. 

Yes, if you save RAW you only need to save 12 bits per pixel (red, green or blue) and then de-bayer in post.  444 assumes pre-debayering, that is, the codec works on full RGB values, so like araucaria said, you're now saving 3x10 bits = 30 bits per RGB pixel vs 12 bits per single-channel pixel.  

The BMPCC's biggest weakness, I thought was the aliasing/moire.  My guess is that the sensor is not true 1080, but something else, which required line-skipping.  I wonder if the new camera will have a different sensor or higher res?  Anyone have any idea?

The BMPCC's biggest weakness, I thought was the aliasing/moire.  My guess is that the sensor is not true 1080, but something else, which required line-skipping.  I wonder if the new camera will have a different sensor or higher res?  Anyone have any idea?

Ditto. I'm wanting so bad to have a Frankenstein Monster mash-up of GH4 and BMPCC.

Yes, if you save RAW you only need to save 12 bits per pixel (red, green or blue) and then de-bayer in post.  444 assumes pre-debayering, that is, the codec works on full RGB values, so like araucaria said, you're now saving 3x10 bits = 30 bits per RGB pixel vs 12 bits per single-channel pixel.  

So in this application, 444 is just an expanded version of the raw de-bayer.  It doesn't actually contain any extra information that you couldn't reconstruct with the debayer algorithm?  

So in this application, 444 is just an expanded version of the raw de-bayer.  It doesn't actually contain any extra information that you couldn't reconstruct with the debayer algorithm?  

The only source of information comes from the bayer sensor in the form of raw data,if you save that, that's it.

Though a great addition, I'd be very wary of taking advantage of the longer recording times.  I wouldnt dream of using the pocket camera for longer than 20-30mins without a turn off and cool down!  They get damn hot.  When a 64gb card is full I know it's time to give the camera a rest before boards start distorting and fractures appear on solder tracks.

Though a great addition, I'd be very wary of taking advantage of the longer recording times.  I wouldnt dream of using the pocket camera for longer than 20-30mins without a turn off and cool down!  They get damn hot.  When a 64gb card is full I know it's time to give the camera a rest before boards start distorting and fractures appear on solder tracks.

It has been tested and reported (test with external battery solutions) that after a while dead pixels appear. Fortunately, they vanish again.  

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correct (not big on codecs really), the original prores in the BMPCC is still the best one? But this added new ones will def be useful for longer shoots (like said earlier, interviews etc)?

That's correct, the previous Prores they had was Prores HQ, which is the best Prores in the camera. Then you have Prores, then Prores LT, then Prores Proxy.

In Prores Proxy you start noticing the compression more, but Prores LT can give you great results at much smaller file sizes than Prores HQ.

Since raw captures all the raw sensor data, it's impossible to capture more info with any other codec. If that was the case, raw wouldn't make sense.