Metabones Speed Booster for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Mount - Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Edition

Andrew Reid

First up, I want to ask: How is autofocus with this thing? Because it might be useful for stills here.

That's pretty awesome news for canon lens owners. 

Now I'm not one of those people anymore, but it does raise a question: Does this mean that Metabones is now capable of releasing other powered speedboosters? (within the near future, not immediatly of course) For example, MFT/BMPCC to Nikon? I'd love to be able to switch on the lens stabilization on my nikon mount lenses!

This might be tricky, because 95% of Nikon lenses require a mechanical arm to move the aperture (iris). There's a reason why the Nikon 1 adapter is more expensive than the Canon EF-M adapter. My guess is that without Nikon helping them out, reverse engineering a fully electronic Speed Booster is going to be harder than the Canon one.

Panasonic should really up the ante on the PRO lens development front. We would certainly like more of these pro lenses like the new Pana/Leica 42.5mm say perhaps a new  11-13mm pana/leica prime with very low CA and low distortion.

There is the Olympus 12mm f/2 you can use for the latter. I just want longer lenses with IS. 

Yes as you have stabilisation and proper aperture control from the body. The Nikon mount adapter has no electronic contacts.

Regardless with the Canon mount adapter, you can still use Nikon lenses on it via an adapter ring.

So best of both worlds in terms of the optics.

Its compelling for that reason. Don't forget that you need the adapter to work with G lenses if you're going to use the newer Nikkors!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Autofocus on E-mount active speedbooster is really slow, if it can work on M43 I bet it will be even slower on M43 body without build-in PDAF.

First up, I want to ask: How is autofocus with this thing? Because it might be useful for stills here.

This is too much for me to handle. I def jumped on the BMPCC bandwagon too early and I've come to realize that it's workflow just doesn't suit me. Therefor I was happy to see the GH4 come to life, but now with the new canon EF speed booster and new firmware coming out in a near future I'm not sure what to do. My biggest problem with BMPCC is the size of footage and no automatic settings for quick run and gun. Also, no slowmo except for using twixtor, which doesn't always look too good and sometimes kill my computer if I'm working on a complete slowmo vid in my timeline. 

This on top of the rumored Canon 7DM2. Gah, so much stuff happening (and might happen), maybe I should just get the Canon Ef booster so I can use IS on my BMPCC and stick with it for another couple of months… HELP!

This might be tricky, because 95% of Nikon lenses require a mechanical arm to move the aperture (iris). There's a reason why the Nikon 1 adapter is more expensive than the Canon EF-M adapter. My guess is that without Nikon helping them out, reverse engineering a fully electronic Speed Booster is going to be harder than the Canon one.

Ah, yea, guess you're right. Too bad. Would be lovely though! Go metabones :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry I'm not too used to canon lenses. I'd like to confirm something, I was sure the SIGMA 18-35mm f1.8 canon version used EF-S mount, which would make sense since it's an APC-S lens?? But you said it is EF mount because the EF-S is under lockdown? Could you confirm?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

For what it says on the Metabones page the Sigma 18-35mm is fully compatible with the BMPCC SpeedBooster, but i wish to know if someone else has tried the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 OS with any version of the SpeedBoster to see if compatible.

Right now i'm very interested on this because the Pocket at $500 is a nice 2nd camera for my setup and i thinking to acquire both Sigmas Zoom mentioned.