Panasonic GH4 user films, tests, reviews and opinions

Andrew Reid

What did you have for iDynamic and iResolution?

Damn it! Thank you varicam. It was set to standard, because I saw a vimeo test clip two days ago with nice results at standard. So I tested it...forgot to turn it off again.
Do you think there would have been close to no noise, even with shadows +2 ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Damn it! Thank you varicam. It was set to standard, because I saw a vimeo test clip two days ago with nice results at standard. So I tested it...forgot to turn it off again.
Do you think there would have been close to no noise, even with shadows +2 ?

Not sure. But turn off iDynamic and see what happens.

Hi Andrew,

I just bought your GH4 Shooter's Guide. Did you include any link for downloading original footage for the people who buy your book? I imagine since there is no hard copy involved, it is good if the buyers feel they will be supported as some sort of electronic amendments as you have more things to say or show about this camera. I'm looking for a 4:2:2 original footage skin tone samples, lots of content with contrasts of dark areas and overly bright areas, low light footage, etc. without any grading so I can grade them myself and find the capability of 4:2:2 vs. 4:2:0 from the card. I haven't bought the external recorder yet but I may. To be honest, I'm not happy with what I'm getting for the dynamic range and dark area colour information, or enough and proper information from overly bright areas. Also the noise is very evident in the low light situations. I am still learning and especially I haven't tried all the combinations of master pedestal and closing or opening the iris while in CineD mode or combining Cine and other modes with shadows/highlights. I expect you have put many more hours on trying these in GH4 and I get a boiled down version of the best combinations for the conditions I mentioned above, i.e. high contrast scenes: dark objects and overly bright content (naturally lit dark room with dark coloured objects with the view from the window on a sunny day), low light, skin tone in different scenarios, etc.

Someone was claiming to not use shadows/highlights curve with Cinelike D. What is your finding on that?

Thanks a lot.

Hello Everybody!

This is my first post (although I'm an avid follower of EOSHD from day one!) so first of all I'd like to thank Andrew for the amazing job he does for the filmmaking community with his very informative, unbiased and inspiring work!

Here's a little short film that i've realised while testing out my new GH4, feedback and comments are obviously much appreciated! :-)

Ciao!

I wanted to share a test video I shot with my new GH4 out at night on the streets of NYC. 

It was shot on the 60fps VFR mode with a Sigma 30mm 1.4 for Nikon + Metabones speed booster. 

I've heard lots of people saying this camera is awful for low-light shooting, but so far i'm pretty happy with it. 

Thanks @jonpais! 

Glad to join.  If you don't mind helping me, I couldn't figure out how to embed the video player into the post.  I also tried using the vimeo embed code but it didn't work.  Let me know!  thanks a lot! 

usually, just copying and pasting the URL works for me.

:)

I wanted to share a test video I shot with my new GH4 out at night on the streets of NYC. 

It was shot on the 60fps VFR mode with a Sigma 30mm 1.4 for Nikon + Metabones speed booster. 

I've heard lots of people saying this camera is awful for low-light shooting, but so far i'm pretty happy with it. 

>

>

Hello Everybody!

This is my first post (although I'm an avid follower of EOSHD from day one!) so first of all I'd like to thank Andrew for the amazing job he does for the filmmaking community with his very informative, unbiased and inspiring work!

Here's a little short film that i've realised while testing out my new GH4, feedback and comments are obviously much appreciated! :-)

Ciao!

Nice people watching video.  Seems like the camera stays pretty low profile in these street scenes.  I only saw one person actually look at it.  I guess that's the benefit of its small size.

Michael

Cheers Michael! :-)

You're absolutely right, the camera is very inconspicuous and definitely not peculiar enough to attract attention (and this it's a very good thing, I've done a very similar thing with a Blackmagic Cinema Camera and i've been stopped and asked about it five times, lol!) 

Another benefit of this little wonder is that it can definitely be used without any extras when you need to be light and discreet, both the screen and the EVF are gorgeous plus you've got zebras, peaking, MF assist and histogram, love it! (oh, and the battery last forever, which is pretty good too!)

Ciao!

Davide

I'm so impressed by this. Stunning footage. I've seen a few videos of the GH4 where it's looked a little too well defined (if that makes sense) but this looks natural and beautiful. Also helps that it's nicely edited and framed.

Thanks Gregor! I think the kind of lens, specifically this Sigma 30mm, and pushing the in-camera sharpness all the way to zero make difference. I also don't like the super crazy sharp/defined look.

Thanks Gregor! I think the kind of lens, specifically this Sigma 30mm, and pushing the in-camera sharpness all the way to zero make difference. I also don't like the super crazy sharp/defined look.

The Sigma 30mm F1.4 is legit.  My friend uses it all the time on his 7D.  One of Sigma's best, next to the ART 35mm F1.4 and 18-35mm F1.8 zoom.  Great footage and great use of ambient light!

Hey guys,

I'm new here too, but I think this is the right place to ask.

I just bought a GH4 on a trip to the US, and I'm learn how to shoot with a real camera (my experience was with a panasonic camcorder). Anyway, after a few shots I send them to the PC but I have no idea of how to optimize the timeline and workflow for 4K to work with a weak PC 4k. It has been a while since I played with Premiere Pro CS6 for the last time and I don't even know how to start and get a 4K timeline ready.

I'm not trying to get a Premiere lesson here, just a example of the best way to start a project before importing footage and what is the best way to export it in 4K or 1080p. Do I need plugins? And that kind of stuff.

I have no success trying to find this and the only thing about editing in 4K seems to be that RED cameras.

Thank you guys and sorry about my english misspelling.