Panasonic GH4 user films, tests, reviews and opinions

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is a short I filmed on the GH4 in 4k but then output in 1080P.

The slow-mo shots were 108060P. 

Would love your feedback.

It's fun, but just a few quibbles... When the girl is escaping at the beginning, perhaps hearing her feet hit the ground as she jumps the fence would have more impact; the sound of her walking through the woods, the snap of twigs under her feet works well; although your actors are good-looking, some of the tight close-ups are rather unflattering - maybe different lighting or camera angles would have helped. When the sheriff appears at the door, it appears as though the focus is on the trees behind him rather than on his face. Finally, when the girl learns the fellow knew who she was all along, it doesn't really seem to register in her body language. 

I liked the story, but the way the characters delivered their dialogue, especially the woman, seemed really odd/fake. Maybe it was a soundspace issue or maybe the actors just weren't up to scratch. Also the exposure/grading seemed really stale. Also I think maybe some of the shots were too smooth. Were you using a steadicam the whole time?

I liked the story, but the way the characters delivered their dialogue, especially the woman, seemed really odd/fake. Maybe it was a soundspace issue or maybe the actors just weren't up to scratch. Also the exposure/grading seemed really stale. Also I think maybe some of the shots were too smooth. Were you using a steadicam the whole time?

There might be little you can do now with the dialogue, but I agree about the color: you can always go back and play with the grading. 

jonpais thank you so much for the feedback and critique, I learned a ton from this shoot being a one man band. There's a million things I will do differently on the next one.

inazuma the actors were actually friends of mine who have never acted before, just doing favors for me. I actually did shoot just about the entire film on the glidecam, good eye!! I'm in the process of a regrade right now and will upload for review. Thank you very much for your input! 

Thanks Guys!

Just a simple test of the 96fps function of the GH4.

Very beautiful images, the golden hour is the ultimate gaffer grip and spark!

Only thing that broke the atmosphere for a moment: that moire on the fence at about 10 seconds is rather annoying as it appears on third-line where my eyes fall naturally!

You could always track a desaturation mask here or slight blur.

It seems moire is one to look out for with 96fps...

Would love your feedback.

I liked the story.  Although the ending, I would have left the last few seconds to the imagination.  Maybe she got her hands loose, but hey, it's not my story.   :)  It left me wanting to watch the entire story, although the last few seconds made me think, well, maybe that's the end of the story.

I thought your shots, movements, cuts, and audio were very good.  Maybe next time, avoid a white shirt in direct sunlight to avoid blown out highlights.  (Something I learned from watching your video.)  I feel there's a lot of room for lighting corrections.

My first real use of the GH4 with 4K + Steadicam + SLR Magic Anamorphot.  Also I shot it super flat with Cinelike D, but I got some real weird color casts in the shadow areas.  I had to do a lot of work in Davinci to try and fix it, and even then I don't think I got it to look right.  I tried CC in Premiere Pro and After Effects, but Davinci was just so much easier and the tracker is just awesome.  In any case, I'm going to start playing around with Andrew's settings and use Cinelike V and maybe less lift in the shadows.

My first real use of the GH4 with 4K + Steadicam + SLR Magic Anamorphot.  Also I shot it super flat with Cinelike D, but I got some real weird color casts in the shadow areas.  I had to do a lot of work in Davinci to try and fix it, and even then I don't think I got it to look right.  I tried CC in Premiere Pro and After Effects, but Davinci was just so much easier and the tracker is just awesome.  In any case, I'm going to start playing around with Andrew's settings and use Cinelike V and maybe less lift in the shadows.

Thanks for this.  But for some reason, everything seems to have a tinge of purple.  Does anyone else see the same?

Looks too processed. Skintones are too golden and yes there seems to be a slight blue-purple cast to all the midtones. As for the editing/direction, we kind of got the point of the video within the first 20 seconds when she says "I love the ocean". The rest of the video seems to be her repeating similar lines and walking along the same paths. In fact none of the storytelling is done through visual means.

Sorry not trying to be mean or anything, just telling it how I see it.

Thanks for this.  But for some reason, everything seems to have a tinge of purple.  Does anyone else see the same?

I shot it too flat and I had to correct for the really dark yellow tints in the shadows.  So I shifted the shadows to cyan and it might look purple too.  I'm going to shoot normal rather than lift the shadows so much.

Looks too processed. Skintones are too golden and yes there seems to be a slight blue-purple cast to all the midtones. As for the editing/direction, we kind of got the point of the video within the first 20 seconds when she says "I love the ocean". The rest of the video seems to be her repeating similar lines and walking along the same paths. In fact none of the storytelling is done through visual means.

Sorry not trying to be mean or anything, just telling it how I see it.

There's no pretense of story here.  In reality this is a camera and steadicam test.  Also a grading test too.  I don't think I'll shoot with a flat profile again.

Yeah I shot Cinelike D, Contrast -5, Highlights -5, Shadows +5, Master Pedestal +15.  Way too flat, I had all kinds of weird color casts in the skin tones and shadows.  I tried to fix it by increasing blue in the shadows, but that didn't help too much.  I think it's easier to shoot at 0 settings and lift the shadows in post.  Or not even lift the shadows, as stock settings seem to be just fine.  But I think the color casts, especially skin, have to be shot normally, not a flat profile.  Still learning what works best with the GH4.

Here's a little clip testing FullHD All-Intra (cinelike-d) in combination with slowmotion (cinelike-v).

Does the noise maybe result from lifting the shadows by 2 ? Contrast was at -3, Master +7 

What did you have for iDynamic and iResolution?