The EOSHD Panasonic GH4 Shooter's Guide - Now Available

Andrew Reid

Great guide Andrew. Just a quick question about your C1 and C2 Highlight Shadow settings... did you mean for the shadows to have a positive value (to brighten up the shadow areas) and the highlight to have a negative value (to darken up the areas that are too bright) rather than the other way around? Thanks for the clarification. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Andrew

I am considering the Voigtlander f0.95 or the Panasonic Lumix f1.4 (both 25mm). Your guide does not clearly favor one over the other. There is one sentence regarding the Lumix lens which is not quite complete: "The only real drawback of the lens [Lumix lens] is that it looks the option softer look of the Voigtlander at F0.95 and (...)." Do you mean that it lacks the option of the softer look of the Voigtlander? So you prefer the Voigtlander due to mainly the soft look at f0.95 if you do not take the size aspect into account and just quality?

Thanks for shedding some light!

If you just shoot video I consider Voigtlander 25mm, manual focus is easier than focus by wire from modern lens, and F0.95 gives you that FF like background blur.  But if you take photos + videos and don't have too big of budget then Leica 25mm and Olympus 25mm is more versatile.

I think Andrew should update lens recommendation with Leica 42.5mm F1.2, OIS really helps at longer focal length.

I have both Olympus 25mm and Voigtlander 25mm, but I am thinking of getting Canon 35mm F2 IS and active speedbooster for the IS.

Hi Andrew

I am considering the Voigtlander f0.95 or the Panasonic Lumix f1.4 (both 25mm). Your guide does not clearly favor one over the other. There is one sentence regarding the Lumix lens which is not quite complete: "The only real drawback of the lens [Lumix lens] is that it looks the option softer look of the Voigtlander at F0.95 and (...)." Do you mean that it lacks the option of the softer look of the Voigtlander? So you prefer the Voigtlander due to mainly the soft look at f0.95 if you do not take the size aspect into account and just quality?

Thanks for shedding some light!

Andrew, is there any updates or tweaks to the color profiles?  I am rep'ing your guide hard core on the FB GH4 forums, and I'm being asked about your C1,C2,and C3 settings I refer to in my posts... I tell them to get your guide, but is there any further refinement or development that will be happening with them?  Thanks!

Andrew, your shooter's guide is missing the sub chapter "recommended function button assignments" or I missed it but I have read the whole thing. Any chance of rolling out an updated version?

@ntblowz: thx for your help. I ended up with the Voigtländer

Andrew, your shooter's guide is missing the sub chapter "recommended function button assignments" or I missed it but I have read the whole thing. Any chance of rolling out an updated version?

+1 Would like to see this added.

Andrew,

Bought the GH4 guide a few weeks before buying my GH4 and it made day one use so much easier for me.  Love the C1-C3 settings.

I am holding on to my hacked GH2 as well.  Wondering if there are settings for the GH2 that best fit the C1,C2,C3 setting you provide for the GH4 - want to be able to match up footage.

Thanks,

John

why doesnt it? i dont understand why some people think they have to invent new lenses to go with 4k. its nothing but a 8MP moving image. any m43 lens should handle it just fine. but i personally like 20mm on m43. its a good focal length to have with you if you dont want more than one prime. the fact that its one stop faster makes it easily win the race. isnt the AF like worlds better as well?

In fact, it is more than just an 8MP moving image.  In 4K mode, the effective sensor size is reduced ("crop factor" is changed).  That changes the FoV and perhaps for him the usability/desirability of a 14mm lens.

BTW, some wide angle adapters that were designed for use on higher end compact digitals work quite well on some micro 4/3s lenses.  My WC E68 Nikon adapter works very nicely on my 14-42mm MSC II Olympus lens that I modified to accept 52mm filters. It becomes a 9.5mm - 28.5mm lens with the addition (the adapter works vignette free through the entire zoom range.  Image quality seems to remain high - though I've not done any formal testing. This is a welcome change when shooting 4k.

• 4 months later...

Hi Andrew,

could you please send me the downloadlink for the GH4 shooters guide.

I hav´nt got anything.

Chris

Hi Andrew,

Same problem as reported by Luximage, just ordered yesterday.

Checked both Inbox and Spam, no e-mail with a download link.

Please help,

Rudi