The EOSHD Panasonic GH4 Shooter's Guide - Now Available

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Refer post #6 above

Damn, how could I miss that?

Thanks, man.

So how do I go about doing that in Premiere CC?

Do I just create a 1080p timeline, drop the 4k footage there and resize?

Or do I edit in 4k and only convert to 1080p when exporting with Media Encoder?

Can anyone help me with this question?

Damn, how could I miss that?

Thanks, man.

So how do I go about doing that in Premiere CC?

Do I just create a 1080p timeline, drop the 4k footage there and resize?

Or do I edit in 4k and only convert to 1080p when exporting with Media Encoder?

Can anyone help me with this question?

Either. If you're not cropping the 4k then you mind as well edit on 4k timeline. But it doesn't change anything either way you go (as far as I can tell from doing both methods) because Premiere doesn't edit according to what the timeline is anyway. It shoves everything into its own 32 bit floating point editing space. The timeline might affect how quickly previews come up but that's about it.

Just resize to 50% on the 1080p timeline and you're done.

I was just editing in Premiere and found this quite annoying. Ever clip I imported into my timeline I had to go in and change each to 50%. In Premiere CC settings there's an option that says "Default scale to frame size" which I thought would auto adjust my clips to fill the sequence size, but it didn't. Is there anyway, by default to get Premiere to scale the clip size to the set sequence size?

I was just editing in Premiere and found this quite annoying. Ever clip I imported into my timeline I had to go in and change each to 50%. In Premiere CC settings there's an option that says "Default scale to frame size" which I thought would auto adjust my clips to fill the sequence size, but it didn't. Is there anyway, by default to get Premiere to scale the clip size to the set sequence size?

Preferences -> General -> Default Scale to Frame Size. Tick this option and youre good to go.

however there is one thing that you need to know: when this box is ticked and you take a 4k clip and drag it into a 1080p timeline, the clip will be zoomed out to fit the frame as you want BUT this is now referred to as 100% scale size. that is not a problem just something to work with. if you now want to zoom in native resolution of one of your clips you have to change the scale to 200%.

• Administrators

Ever clip I imported into my timeline I had to go in and change each to 50%.

Just change one clip, copy it (CMD-C) highlight all the others on the timeline, right click, Paste Attributes, done.

Andrew - Just a query about your advice on audio levels (page 71-71) in the excellent and very useful book. You say that the "mic level limiter" is in fact an automatic audio gain control, and that with it switched on the mic level adjust does not work. On my GH4 it appears that the limiter is a normal limiter, reducing the level only when it starts to clip at high levels. Also, the mic level adjust works with the limiter switched in. So I'm finding that the traditional way of setting levels works well - turn the limiter off, set the level so that it never hits the red, then turn it back on, just to catch any unexpected peaks in audio. I can't find an option to use fully auto audio levels in my camera - which actually might be nice under some (but not many) circumstances.

Or have I misunderstood something here?

Thank You, Thank You Andrew! (And in that order)

I just received the link to download the file.

Yup! it is intact.

This is a very good and valuable work. There is no question I will gain a lot of understanding of the GH4 system.

I made an error when ordering:

I was in a bit of a rush, ....

Didn't look to closely at the information, just sellected PayPal !!!

e-Cheque  3 - 5 Business days to clear? + high exchange rate!

I should have used my ozForex debit card, instant with far better exchange rates!

Anyway, ........ my GH4 still hasen't arrived yet, so I can still fit in some pre-acquision study.

I only found EOSHD a few months ago, I'm very impressed by the professional content and mature attitude displayed by the good members.

DPR should nake notice.

Well done Andrew.