ECyclops & MiniCyclops - 20X20 & 14X14 INCHES SENSOR SIZE HISTORICAL HD FOOTAGE

Gonzalo Ezcurra

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I get that the f stop is maintained, as in the lens will gather the same amount of light, but the depth of field will compare to a 36mm f/0.48 on fullframe. Just like a 12-35mm f/2.8 on micro four thirds gives the dof equivalent of a 24-70mm f/5.6 on fullframe, etc. You can easily see that in your video's. Doesn't 'look' like f/4.8 or f/6, does it :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I feel sorry for all focus pullers out there. While we -Directors and cinematographers- are lusting over larger sensors, they are the ones paying for it :D

Seriously though, this look is awesome. I love this! Hoping to see more footage soon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Second Quick Test ECyclops 20x20 inches "sensor" size digital motion camera.

Sony A7S + Shogun Capture Camera
1942 Epidiascope Zenith Optical Co. Tessar 616mm f6 (wide open) -4 elements in 3 groups, bakelite lens body-
2x 6 tube Kino + 1x 1K Fresnel
Slightly grading.
"One-person film crew", with makeup and costumes that assisted the model.

@Gonzalo Ezcurra

This rig is great!  I hope you keep shooting with it and keep posting videos.

Somehow, I missed your May 2014 post showing the "street" version.  Did you remove the motorization?

By the way, have you ever played around with the swing/tilt on the Omega View stage?

• 5 months later...

Gonzalo,

Thank you for the reply!  I guess that quite a few of the extra-large format photography lenses were not designed for extreme swing/tilts.  On the other hand, it might be possible to find a cheap lens from one of the old, huge, graphics stat/process cameras that would allow much more play, and also have a larger maximum aperture.

By the way, there has been a long-running debate here on whether or not there is a difference in "look" between large formats and smaller formats.  Have you found any differences in look between your Cyclops rigs and smaller cameras?  If so, please explain the differences that you see.

Thanks!

Thank you for the first-hand insight into the distinctiveness of the Cyclops' look.  Perhaps the "buffer" in the highlights is similar to the "glow" that many enjoyed with 35mm DOF adapters.

It certainly would be interesting to see a side-by-side DOF/look comparison test between a Cyclops and a much smaller format camera (such as a BMPCC, a BMMCC or a Digital Bolex).  A test of such dramatically different formats might finally settle the DOF/look argument.