Magic Lantern Raw Video for Canon DSLRs

Andrew Reid

Alright, I'm currently studying film in school. I love creating, and have a nac for telling stories. I also love operating the camera and editing, but all this technical stuff makes my head wanna SPLODE!!! So I just uploaded ML to my t3i, but I'm seriously just considering just buying the BMCC pocket version, until I can afford the 4k. Would you guys advise against or for it, & why? To me it seems the workflow would be less arduous with BMCC pocket...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Alright, I'm currently studying film in school. I love creating, and have a nac for telling stories. I also love operating the camera and editing, but all this technical stuff makes my head wanna SPLODE!!! So I just uploaded ML to my t3i, but I'm seriously just considering just buying the BMCC pocket version, until I can afford the 4k. Would you guys advise against or for it, & why? To me it seems the workflow would be less arduous with BMCC pocket...

If you buy RawMagic to process your Magic Lantern raw files, then the workflow is about on-par with raw files from the BMPCC.

If you are already creating a lot and telling stories, you are already ahead of most of the people who visit this site. Ride the wave. Don't get bogged down with technology (including new cameras).

Thanks for the response quickhitrecord! I appreciate it. But now I have a follow up question. Once the files are converted in Raw Magic, can I import them directly to FCPx? If not, what would be the next step? Exclude any LUT/grading process, I plan on getting LUT Utility for FCP, and will grade in there. As I said, all the technical stuff hurts my brain, so I would like to keep the process as simple as possible.

Thanks for the response quickhitrecord! I appreciate it. But now I have a follow up question. Once the files are converted in Raw Magic, can I import them directly to FCPx? If not, what would be the next step? Exclude any LUT/grading process, I plan on getting LUT Utility for FCP, and will grade in there. As I said, all the technical stuff hurts my brain, so I would like to keep the process as simple as possible.

I don't use FCPX, so I don't know. But you can import the Cinema DNG files from RawMagic into Resolve Lite (which is free), and then export them to any codec that you want.

I've been working with fcpx. I use RawMagic, import to Resolve, do a first grade and export pro res at whatever resolution to import into fcpx.

I'm still trying to find the best way to set up an anamorphic 1.4 aspect ratio (
2688x1080) project in fcpx. If anyone has thoughts I'd like to hear how other people are working with iscorama footage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do not want to judge too soon but I am very upset ´cause  I bought your The EOSHD 5D Mark III Raw Shooter's Guide on August 19, through Paypal and then i received the link for download it and i cant download, something is wrong with his service, then i send several messages, facebook messages, email, about 7 messages so far i can get any response or traces of life of the Andrew Reid guy, apparently is lost in the jungle or the earth swallowed him, meantime , I need to keep doing my job. I am very disappointed.

I´m still receiving this message:

The secure download manager ran into a problem that it couldn’t handle, and is unable to process your download request.

The problem was due to the following reason:
The download link (see browser address bar) has been used too many times. If you think this reason is in error, please contact the site administrator.

• Administrators

Sorry about that man... I have been on holiday and have been sent approximately 1000 emails, some not even in my inbox but lost in the ether. What's your email address so I can delve in and sort it out once and for all? Didn't get the FB messages for some reason BTW.

a1ex has suggested that he is moving away from developing the video side of ML in favor of the photo side:

I'm actually thinking to move away from the video side of ML, and let those actually interested in video do the hard work instead. I'd rather focus on the still photo stuff, which is what I actually use.

I might change my mind if the ML community would do these things:

- encourage newcomers to post in the right forum (I've locked the 1.2.3 thread because it was flooded with offtopic questions about RAW/MLV)
- contribute to the user guide and help updating the site (everything besides forum is static HTML/JS, so just edit it locally and propose your changes here)
- help solving this issue instead of just hoping it will be forgotten (it's not funny to do the hard work for free, and then to have third parties getting rich just by selling a fancy GUI, without contributing anything back)

Source: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.825

It goes without saying that this would be a huge drawback to the ongoing development of this incredible software. 

• 4 weeks later...