Lighting

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

This is my favourite of the small, compact LED panels with good battery life. I like it mainly for the variable colour temperature control.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9867/switronix-torchled-bolt-variable-temperature-led-light-review

If you just want a harsh but bright white light and are shooting raw, so can heavily colour correct the white balance in post then this is a good deal for cheap! 

if you are starting out get a set of 4 Red Heads and a bunch of LEE gels / diffusion for them , and bulldog clips to hold the gels on the lights.

you will also need some Lee diffusion too so you can control the intensity of the lights better dont be affraid of layering up your diffusion too , then adding the coloured gels ontop of the diffusion.

You can buy gels / Lee diffusion off ebay cheap get a whole bunch of colours and try different set ups to see what you like.

ie try Teal and Amber that is used  in alot of films now , amber on the face - teal on the back wall etc or vice versa !

I always back light and have a kicker too to help get edge separation.

How much key and fill you use from the front is all down to personal taste and how dark or bight you want the subject.

there are loads of youtube vids on this and 3 point and 4 point lighting

you will end up having lights around until you are happy with the look

so dont think you can just bash up some lights and hey presto ! you use your eye to get a desirable look.

Hello guys,

I search for a "cheap"  LED panel for a talking head interview (filmed with gh3+25mm1.4) and I want to ask you if the F&V k4000 worth the double price difference between the chinese CN600 panel?  I know the problems with cheap led's but I see some good reviews for CN600/900.

Thank you 

Well, I had two of the CN600. One of em literally fried itself after four years. That's not bad for 100 quid.

I have to disagree on redheads for beginners, simply because the heat and fragility makes them impractical.

I'd get LED but yes buy diffusion and half CTO gels in sheets.

Also lots of blackwrap to shape the light and reduce spill.

Spill and lackof diffusion makes things look more amateur.

Has anyone experience of the Chinese ARRI fresnel clones. Metal wise they look very similar and I can only think about the rivets maybe being a cause of concern, which may be FUD due to my ignorance. The price is great though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-300W-2X-150W-Kit-Fresnel-Tungsten-Lights-Video-Spot-Light-spotlight-as-arri-/121345319719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c40bea327

they are flimsy and I had to rewire them as it was a bit dangerous!!

but the do work fine just not quite as robust are the real thing - still makes the same light , takes the same bulbs

edit - oh yeah and the stands are very thin/ flimsy too , so you might want to by real stands

they are flimsy and I had to rewire them as it was a bit dangerous!!

but the do work fine just not quite as robust are the real thing - still makes the same light , takes the same bulbs

edit - oh yeah and the stands are very thin/ flimsy too , so you might want to by real stands

Good tip to check the wiring ;)

My old Ianiro RH set need replacing they are fibreglass and tatty

I love me some Kino, TBH. The light out of those suckers is so unique. Soft, smooth and . . . IDK, permeating? (Best word I can think of to describe it). It's like having a cloudy day on hand in a couple tubes. 

Me too,

I've been tempted to a 200 quid budget kino, no dimmer but switchable banks... if i get it I'll let you know how it is.

I've heard the knock-off HMIs aren't worth the danger!!