Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I would have made these subforums instead on a topic. Like the screening room/Crea&ideas etc,

One thread will be impossible to search through and will be very hard to ask and answer questions. Just a thought.

I was going to say, maybe ( I don't  know how this forum software works) but maybe you could have sub-forums, rather than single threads, as threads become quite a swamp very quickly.

Having sub forums for the topics, and even for individual camera discussion could be a brilliant way to keep things arranged and split administration

Quite a lot of other forums i use do this: http://www.thegearpage.net/board

Kinda like you do for anamorphic, it could encourage whole sub communities

On the original subject, here's a video I made while testing the gradability of the C100s built-in AVCHD....

I've been pretty impressed so far, considering how low the data rate is.

I've not protected the skin tone in this one, I've just let it go with the rest of the shot, which makes it extra moody but not so "technically" correct as grading goes.

I'll do a second version soon with a more realistic skin next, to see how the secondaries come off.

This won't be so easy, due to the compression mangling the colour boundaries. I already has a quick go with the eyes, it was near impossible without tracking masks, which i didn't have the time for just then.

I expect to use tracked mask and colour picking together to pull the skin back a little, but for it not to be perfect.

Using a Ninja of some kind with C100 gives you 422 ProRes HQ (8-bit in 10-bit wrapper) though, so I can't wait to give that a blast. I really love the custom picture control this camera has, you actually program colour matrices intensely. Low light is very clean.

Colour is very nice, I imagine this is Canon colour science plus the lasck of debayering: it uses a 4K sensor for true 1080p, each block is a red, a blue and two green pixels.

It's a long-term borrow so I'll be doing more with it as I get to know it.

PASSWORD: test

yeah that's the negative of sub forums, sometimes they just die in the distance....

I suppose you could have an all-posts front page, then sub forums too, so the main page shows every thread, while they're all duplicated in their respective sub forums.... I'm way off topic now, ironically!

Hi all, I saw the link to this thread appear on Twitter and I thought it sounded like it could potentially be very interesting so I signed up! :) 

I'm really fascinated by the colour grading/treatment process so hopefully I can pick up some tips. Funnily enough, I downloaded FilmConvert and Davinci Resolve Lite today to try out. I've previously doing my colour grading through After Effects and although it's really good, I find that it can often make my workflow a little sluggish, especially when using Dynamic Linking. 

Anyway, if anyone has any tips for either FC or DRL then I'm all ears! 

Hi all, I saw the link to this thread appear on Twitter and I thought it sounded like it could potentially be very interesting so I signed up! :)

I'm really fascinated by the colour grading/treatment process so hopefully I can pick up some tips. Funnily enough, I downloaded FilmConvert and Davinci Resolve Lite today to try out. I've previously doing my colour grading through After Effects and although it's really good, I find that it can often make my workflow a little sluggish, especially when using Dynamic Linking. 

Anyway, if anyone has any tips for either FC or DRL then I'm all ears! 

Try Speedgrade CC too, if you're a Creative Cloud guy, it's all yours. Pretty under-rated IMHO

this will be one of the most subjective threads on the forum as everyone sees things in their own way.

There is no rules on this as anything goes , there are some techniques that are useful to know , but mostly I do this totally by feel and look.

@Andy Lee It is and it isn't... music is totally subjective... beauty is totally subjective... filmmaking is totally subjective... are there really any absolutes when it comes to filmmaking? Does that mean there aren't any criteria by which we can judge whether a particular look is effective or interferes with the mood we are trying to create? With all due respect, if grading was completely subjective, we'd have nothing to learn by watching and listening to the guys at Colorista, or watching tutorials by fellows as gifted as Matt Scott, who show us how they achieved the looks they were after, the reasoning behind their decisions, the most efficient way to arrive at the desired result, or to get aspiring filmmakers to think about the different possibilities... I really don't think it's just about technique, as important as technique is - it's learning about the thought processes that were behind the decisions that I think we can all learn something from. Anyhow, color grading is one of the most fascinating aspects about filmmaking for me (even more than storage solutions, believe it or not!)  :)

/edit/ sad that these craftsmen are often listed in the credits behind the caterers and so forth, when they are the ones responsible for the look of the film

Probably the same thing for me as for many others - I'm experienced with stills workflow, but a beginner when it comes to video.

If I remember correctly it was someone on EOSHD (Sean perhaps?) who once recommended me the book "Color Correction Handbook - Professional techniques for video and cinema" by Alexis van Hurkman.

I find that book as a very good starting point for myself, and I can highly recommend it to others who are new to color grading.

Probably the same thing for me as for many others - I'm experienced with stills workflow, but a beginner when it comes to video.

If I remember correctly it was someone on EOSHD (Sean perhaps?) who once recommended me the book "Color Correction Handbook - Professional techniques for video and cinema" by Alexis van Hurkman.

I find that book as a very good starting point for myself, and I can highly recommend it to others who are new to color grading.

I'm glad someone actually read that book, it really does give you an excellent foothold into understanding colour grading & how to create various grades (the new edition has been expanded & split into 2 books).

At the moment i'm having a nightmare grading some BM Pocket footage - not sure whether it is IR pollution, the studio's brownish walls (nasty faded 70/80s style), not enough light or a combination of the three. Yet another learning curve to understand how Filmconvert works in combination with FCPX & BM footage!

I agree this thread should be a sticky rather than another subforum.

Ported over from the thread I posted last night:

It was a very sunny day. I shot flatly and exposed for the highlights (meaning most of the shots were at f11 or even more closed). Grading was done with Film Convert in Premiere. I think you will be impressed with the dynamic range because I managed to expose for shadowed areas whilst not blowing out outside (eg.1 minute in and 1 minute 50).

So.. yeh. That's it really. I was hoping to hear some feedback off you guys if anyone has time :)

stop the presses, before you grade read these two funny articles, theres a distinction to color correction and color grading.

Color correction is all those subtle little corrections in your movie, correcting the exposure etc, grading is changing the complete look and feel of your film all mentioned in the excellent book by mr Hurken "Color Correction Handbook - Professional techniques for video and cinema" 

I love these articles because they point out a simple thing, today its movies that are not "graded" that stand out from the crowd.

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.gr/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_18664_5-annoying-trends-that-make-every-movie-look-same.html

its nice to have a distintictive look, and currently i think its movies that dont look "graded"....