Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, sandro said:

which is the best fast prime (1.4-1.8) to use on the NX1? Manual lenses are fine. Should be between 24-40mm or 50mm if necessary. Anything cheaper than the sigma 35mm 1.4?

sammy 35mm 1.4 is amazing, if you wanna go with the route off a very clinical lens then its your best bet. If you want someone with lower contrast more vintage look, the canon ltm 35mm f1.8 is a real beaut. Kinda rare but it comes up every once in awhile on ebay.

I always had a thing for Samyang lenses. What worries me is that some lenses are only available for mirrorless mounts and the new ones not even for the NX mount :( I would feel more safe investing in lenses for the Nikon F mount you know?

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, sandro said:

I always had a thing for Samyang lenses. What worries me is that some lenses are only available for mirrorless mounts and the new ones not even for the NX mount :( I would feel more safe investing in lenses for the Nikon F mount you know?

I would get the Samyang in Nikon no matter what camera I had.

40 minutes ago, sandro said:

The Samyang/Rokinon/Bower lenses are nice lenses, my friend has the 16mm Cine lens and it is a really nice lens.

Mitakon also makes a 35mm f2 lens that looks really nice. Brand new they sell for $160. Of course I haven't seen any footage from them, but their other lenses look good  

28 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I would get the Samyang in Nikon no matter what camera I had.

Without a doubt. Those lenses will be good for years and they will work with any future Nikon, Canon, or mirrorless. 

38 minutes ago, mercer said:

The Samyang/Rokinon/Bower lenses are nice lenses, my friend has the 16mm Cine lens and it is a really nice lens.

Mitakon also makes a 35mm f2 lens that looks really nice. Brand new they sell for $160. Of course I haven't seen any footage from them, but their other lenses look good  

Without a doubt. Those lenses will be good for years and they will work with any future Nikon, Canon, or mirrorless. 

mitakon 35mm f2 is worse than canon fd 35mm f2 and nikkor 35mm f2 so not recommended.

22 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

mitakon 35mm f2 is worse than canon fd 35mm f2 and nikkor 35mm f2 so not recommended.

A lot of lenses are worse than canon FD and nikkor 35mm f2, Rokinon/Samyang/Bower included. But I have not seen anything from them. Have you used the Creator 35mm f2? Do you have any footage from them? I have been curious about the price for awhile. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

A lot of lenses are worse than canon FD and nikkor 35mm f2, Rokinon/Samyang/Bower included. But I have not seen anything from them. Have you used the Creator 35mm f2? Do you have any footage from them? I have been curious about the price for awhile. 

i had it and sold it after a couple of days of usage, my nikkor 35m f2 which retails for 80$ is a lot sharper wide open. I dont think i still have the footage but i can check tomorrow. But here's a review which covers mot areas about it http://www.lenstip.com/428.1-Lens_review-Mitakon_Creator_35_mm_f_2_-Introduction.html

1 hour ago, BrorSvensson said:

i had it and sold it after a couple of days of usage, my nikkor 35m f2 which retails for 80$ is a lot sharper wide open. I dont think i still have the footage but i can check tomorrow. But here's a review which covers mot areas about it http://www.lenstip.com/428.1-Lens_review-Mitakon_Creator_35_mm_f_2_-Introduction.html

Thanks, if you have it I would like to see it. I almost picked up a Nikkor-O 35mm f2 the other day but we couldn't agree on a price and since I already have the 28mm f2, it seems redundant if I can't get it for the right price. Which Nikkor 35mm f2 do you have, and do you have any footage online using it?

8 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks, if you have it I would like to see it. I almost picked up a Nikkor-O 35mm f2 the other day but we couldn't agree on a price and since I already have the 28mm f2, it seems redundant if I can't get it for the right price. Which Nikkor 35mm f2 do you have, and do you have any footage online using it?

i have the ais version, all the shots except the close ups in this video was shot on the nikkor.

5 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

i have the ais version, all the shots except the close ups in this video was shot on the nikkor.

Looks great Bror. Beautiful lens and composition, but I am a sucker for slow rack focusing. What camera did you shoot that with?

5 hours ago, sandro said:

I also have the nikkor 35 f2 and I love it.

If you already have the Nikkor 35mm f2, then why are you even looking for another lens in this range... Get some more Nikkors... How about the 50mm 1.2 or 85mm f2... Or the 20mm f2.8? There are so many great Nikkor lenses that you should be concentrating on building a nice set of those... IMO. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Looks great Bror. Beautiful lens and composition, but I am a sucker for slow rack focusing. What camera did you shoot that with?

If you already have the Nikkor 35mm f2, then why are you even looking for another lens in this range... Get some more Nikkors... How about the 50mm 1.2 or 85mm f2... Or the 20mm f2.8? There are so many great Nikkor lenses that you should be concentrating on building a nice set of those... IMO. 

Sony A7 with the neutral picture style -3-3-3 and graded with film convert.

3 hours ago, mercer said:

I need more light and nikkors are not cheap...

3 minutes ago, sandro said:

I need more light and nikkors are not cheap...

Ok, gotcha. You were talking about a f/1.8 lens... That's not gonna give you that much more light. I guess the Samyangs are your best bet, there aren't a lot of lenses, less than f2, in the semi-wide to normal range that are cheap. 

I guess there's the Konica 40mm f/1.8. That's a really cool lens and it has a little bit of a cult following.