Lenses

Andrew Reid

I am not a tech head, but I think it might be the codec or something. There is no reason why these lenses... Your FDs or my MDs wouldn't have enough resolution for 4K video. With the G7, I am having no issues with old c-mount TV lenses. 

I have no clue whats going on. Im guessing its the flange distance ? But there is no way a precisely machined adapter by novoflex is having this issue. Im really not trying to go back to Sony but I have had no issues adapting lenses to emount or even to micro 4/3

I am not a tech head, but I think it might be the codec or something. There is no reason why these lenses... Your FDs or my MDs wouldn't have enough resolution for 4K video. With the G7, I am having no issues with old c-mount TV lenses. 

I have no clue whats going on. Im guessing its the flange distance ? But there is no way a precisely machined adapter by novoflex is having this issue. Im really not trying to go back to Sony but I have had no issues adapting lenses to emount or even to micro 4/3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A fair number of lens adapters will be a millimeter or two short of the proper flange distance to ensure every lens can hit infinity focus. That's generally fine, but it means you can focus a little past infinity, which will make your wide shots look blurry if you're relying on your distance scale. The solution is just to focus a little short of infinity.

the first shot of the autumn colored landscape is with my cheap fotodiox adapter and the second is with novoflex, both focused at infinity. I don't know if its the lens or adapter but I am leaning towards adapter because again I have never had this problem on my a7s before I sold that tbody

SAM_1343.jpg

SAM_1936.jpg

Fuck man! Loved the build quality of the novoflex as my fotodiox just randomly started falling apart smh...looks like its back to fotodiox. Thanks for the advice as always I appreciate it

You didn't have the issue with the Fotodiox? You would think the Novoflex would be better...

Anyone have experience with nikon lenses on the nx body ?

I only have some experience in ZF.2 lenses on my NX1. I own a distagon 35/2, 25/2 and a planar 50/1.4, haven't used them for video yet, but the photo's are stunning. No issue with infinity focus so far, I'm using an EF-NX adapter together with Nikon F-EF adapters bought on ebay.

Oh no!

I just bought a Schneider 50 1.7 rollei QBM mount, but now I'm unable to find any QBM to Samsung NX adapters.

They seemed to be around a few weeks ago, now I'm having trouble finding one.

Anyone have any leads where I might be able to grab one of these?

There are adapters to convert QBM to EF mount. I have some friends using that adapter, it seems a good way to fit it on an EF-NX adapter.

There are adapters to convert QBM to EF mount. I have some friends using that adapter, it seems a good way to fit it on an EF-NX adapter.

Ah, that's a good idea. Do a double adapter If I can't find the straight to NX one.

Good thinking! If I can't find a straight to NX one first, I'll definitely do that

Oh no!

I just bought a Schneider 50 1.7 rollei QBM mount, but now I'm unable to find any QBM to Samsung NX adapters.

They seemed to be around a few weeks ago, now I'm having trouble finding one.

Anyone have any leads where I might be able to grab one of these?

Tough. Seems the eBay vendors pulled the plug on that one. Perhaps they can still get you one, try by sending 'em a message through eBay. You can find some discontinued listings through Google. Another thing you can try is Taobao: http://world.taobao.com/item/521598900440.htm . You'll need an agent to get hold of one on there, I'd recommend something like http://mistertao.com . Could try 'n see what these guys have to say for themselves: http://goldenvision.en.alibaba.com/product/609614812-214032112/New_Rollei_QBM_Lens_to_NX_NX100_NX10_NX5_Adapter.html , but I think they pulled the plug as well, given they're these guys: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Rollei-QBM-Lens-to-NX-NX100-NX10-NX5-Adapter-conversion-ring-adapter/413706_618389056.html?storeId=413706 .

Double adapters sounds like a good idea... but I'd really try to avoid it. You might run into dodgy focus issues.

Thanks for the post, Cinegain!

It does look like that. What a bummer.

I have found very similar things to what you did, sites similar to alibaba and these other sites I've never used before.

Does anyone have experience buying through these sites or this way?

I've messaged a few providers on ebay that still have QBM to m4/3s, NEX, and EOS adapters up.

I'm hoping I can still get a single adapter, but it's nice to know I could do it that way as well, just with one more variable.

I need help and suggestions to figure out few problems with Russian lenses. Hope someone could help...

I have few problems with following lenses:

1. Jupiter-9
This lens focus is ultimate stiff. It sometimes screws of from my m42 to EF adapter when trying to focus. I read from internet that this is quite usual problem. But is there anyting to do? Now I am trying to get it more smooth by working it out back and forth between infinity and close focus.

2. Mir-1B and Helios 44-2
On both lenses with m42-EF adapter on infinity focus rear of the lens backs over the EF mount. And I am sure it will hit my speedbooster lens on, if I ever would mount it. So these are unusable. The problem is definetly worse on Mir-1B. Helios 44-2 is just a minor issue. It might be possible to be mounted...

I need help and suggestions to figure out few problems with Russian lenses. Hope someone could help...

I have few problems with following lenses:

1. Jupiter-9
This lens focus is ultimate stiff. It sometimes screws of from my m42 to EF adapter when trying to focus. I read from internet that this is quite usual problem. But is there anyting to do? Now I am trying to get it more smooth by working it out back and forth between infinity and close focus.

2. Mir-1B and Helios 44-2
On both lenses with m42-EF adapter on infinity focus rear of the lens backs over the EF mount. And I am sure it will hit my speedbooster lens on, if I ever would mount it. So these are unusable. The problem is definetly worse on Mir-1B. Helios 44-2 is just a minor issue. It might be possible to be mounted...

The jupiter 9 is really hard to take apart so its really hard to fix internal issues.

I'm going to say this, but lighting interior shots with people at my 6'3" height must be a nightmare.

Why do you always post random things non-related to lenses in the lenses topic? :)

Really, I think we said that before, you should have one thread just for ZachGoodwin brainfarts where you can actually just add anything that pops to mind to. Maybe call the topic 'ZachGoodwin presents the 'Dear Diary'-series'.

Dear diary, I'm going to say this, but lighting interior shots with people at my 6'3" height must be a nightmare.

Dear diary, Well I made a new episode, it's in the show your footage section of this site.

Dear diary, spending an entire night in my garage trying to figure out the look for my short film with lighting and just using my cell phone. Now I have to deal with figuring out how to do it with the walls since I figured out how to do it in a simulated space in my garage. I only used clamp lights, my cell phone, a multi disc reflector, a blanket, a paper towel attached to another bounce board, C-47s. black wrap, red gel that I mistaken was the size of my clamp lights (so I decided to use it as a light on one of the reflectors), a head light, my laptop (is simulated to be a TV that is static), and parchment paper. Why the fuck does B & H photo charge more than $20 for professional diffusion when I can just go to the super market and get me parchment paper, or wax paper. I also just used light bulbs, including: a blue high heat spray painted 200 Watt Bulb (Some of the blue came off, did not care because it helped the look), a heavily diffused 200 Watt Bulb (some of the parchment paper was burned creating an amber look which I liked so I kept it like that), and of course a 60 watt bulb that was old in the garage. And this is the look I finally get by trying my damn best. If you can not see me now, I'm sorry you are blind. Even my grandmother could see it.

The hardest fucking thing was the eye light and camera left side. But that is the look of Shot Dead at Midnight. Turned on the Lightmeter app on my phone and it said 3200 ISO 40-50 Shutter Speed at F/5.6 and I thought: Good my DSLR can go to 3500 ISO because of activating Highlight Tone Priority, making Magiclantern ISO -5 and Canon ISO -3 once the ISO becomes 1750. Don't know what I meant, go try the settings yourself when you download it.

Edit: Forgot that I used two cowboy studio light stands and cardboard boxes to stack the cell phone with lighting app. Also no Garage lights were used.
I still remember what I said, when I feel the light hitting my eye, the lighting is good. I still remember what my special assistance teacher in high school said: "It's all about the eyes." (At that time I was diagnosed with high functioning Aspergers, no not down syndrome, because I got out with a 3.3 gpa and had normal classes. Just assistance, stuff like a quiet room and two answers instead of four. Goes down to a 50/50 chance instead of a 25% chance. Most of the time when given that I insisted on the 25% chance and having no assistance. But it did help. Later I found out that I just had ADD and was like everyone else). He helped out with some glam rock music videos during the 1980s and helped out in stage band performances. Had a doctorate in special education, but also taught an acting class. Showed him some of my movie ideas as a kid to him. He was from New York City.

Dear diary, I found this out about lighting: if the person's eyes start to sting a little from the light, they may be well lit.

I'd follow that thread. Just try to keep it about lenses here in this one, I'd say... ;)

Hey guys im thinking about selling my Pentax Takumar prime set,  how much do you think they would be worth as a kit? 

4 lenses Takumars Non-smc so uncoated for better flares.      28mm 3.5     35mm   2.0  Legendary 50mm 1.4   and  85mm 1.9

all with zip gears from half inch rails, 77mm front threads, ef adaptors and back caps, and most importantly all declicked,  

heres a pcture of them sans the 85 looks the same as the 35.

I 've had great success with these lenses they look nice, the 35 and 85 are not tack sharp wide open but they ait. I just got an otus 55 a need the funds if im going to try and complete the set. 

heres a recent music video shot on them except for the ultra wide shots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gVqPkk6GEQ

408192_2468174708924_751673123_n.jpg