Lenses

Andrew Reid

Nope. It was sad when he didn't know any better and the seller led him to believe it would work on his t2i.

From that point on he received well informed advice, but he still wanted to give it a shot... Okay youth and all.

It was then sad again when he received the lens and it didn't work.

At that point, he should have just returned the lens... eBay has such a liberal return policy.

But not sad anymore when he decided to take a screw driver to the thing, and other lenses, and attempt to create a Frankenlens.

If he was paying attention earlier, he would have known that the mount had nothing to do with it not working.

And then, assuming he was able to reassemble the lens, he went and told the seller he disassembled it... He probably wrote it in an email as well.

I'm sure when he talked to him, the guy was grinning ear to ear, and ended the call quickly.

So, what's the next best bet... he seeks out an optical engineer...

I don't mean to be hard on the kid... I really don't, but this is getting ridiculous. And if he would show a little humility when he converses with people and an open mind, he wouldn't be in this predicament and he could be sitting pretty with a brand new BMPCC. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So have you destroyed that k35 zoom?

if it has been focal reduced it means it might be straightforward to revert it into something that covers s35mm, but even then i expect your camera will have mirror issues since the lens probably isnt retrofocus and will probably need to seated deep into the mirror box for infinity.  post some pics! 

So have you destroyed that k35 zoom?

if it has been focal reduced it means it might be straightforward to revert it into something that covers s35mm, but even then i expect your camera will have mirror issues since the lens probably isnt retrofocus and will probably need to seated deep into the mirror box for infinity.  post some pics! 

I was going to suggest he speak with you, but I didn't want to volunteer you for something. 

Quick question though, I recently declicked a zeiss Jena 50mm, the newer black version and it was pretty straightforward. After that success, I attempted to declick an older version that had a spring system. I was able to fix the aperture but not declick it. I recently picked up the zebra 20mm f4 for a steal, but the aperture doesn't work. I don't want to take the mount off and have the spring pop, if there is one, do you know?

I have not focused on it now.

don't give up on it.  it may be possible to fix, but some pics of the lens will be helpful for us to advise.

I was going to suggest he speak with you, but I didn't want to volunteer you for something. 

Quick question though, I recently declicked a zeiss Jena 50mm, the newer black version and it was pretty straightforward. After that success, I attempted to declick an older version that had a spring system. I was able to fix the aperture but not declick it. I recently picked up the zebra 20mm f4 for a steal, but the aperture doesn't work. I don't want to take the mount off and have the spring pop, if there is one, do you know?

Unfortunately I have never worked on these lenses.

but i'd suggest going back to the previous one you dismantled and relook at it.  the spring is simply to engage/disengage the aperture ring pin for the auto diaphram.  try playing around with a toothpick to decipher what is doing what.  with your 20mm it's likely a lever just needs to be fixed in place to engage the aperture ring.  I imagine oil has dried up in the auto mechanism and as such the spring inside doesnt have enough strength to pull it to the right place.    

don't give up on it.  it may be possible to fix, but some pics of the lens will be helpful for us to advise.

Unfortunately I have never worked on these lenses.

but i'd suggest going back to the previous one you dismantled and relook at it.  the spring is simply to engage/disengage the aperture ring pin for the auto diaphram.  try playing around with a toothpick to decipher what is doing what.  with your 20mm it's likely a lever just needs to be fixed in place to engage the aperture ring.  I imagine oil has dried up in the auto mechanism and as such the spring inside doesnt have enough strength to pull it to the right place.    

Thanks, yeah that is how I fixed the aperture on the older model, just fixing the lever in place. I think I had to take out a part that was used for the auto/manual functioning of the lens.

The newer all black models are an entirely different design, instead of a spring, it uses a switch. The older models were actually a more complicated design. The zebra model is an in between version, hopefully it's the easier one.

I am a mechanically inclined person, but I always get a little nervous opening up a lens.

Anyway...

Thanks again. 

Thanks, yeah that is how I fixed the aperture on the older model, just fixing the lever in place. I think I had to take out a part that was used for the auto/manual functioning of the lens.

The newer all black models are an entirely different design, instead of a spring, it uses a switch. The older models were actually a more complicated design. The zebra model is an in between version, hopefully it's the easier one.

I am a mechanically inclined person, but I always get a little nervous opening up a lens.

Anyway...

Thanks again. 

there's very little that can go wrong.  all that's likely to happen is that you'll never be able to restore the auto diaphram function, something not used in the scope of our profession

there's very little that can go wrong.  all that's likely to happen is that you'll never be able to restore the auto diaphram function, something not used in the scope of our profession

That makes sense, do you know if cleaning and relubricating focus rings are difficult? On my 35mm zeiss, the focus is a little rough... Specifically in one spot it hangs up. I know you said you never worked on these lenses, but I'd imagine cleaning focus helicoids are similar, no matter the make of lens?

• 2 weeks later...

Can't really be blaming him now... you're grown up enough, time to start taking your losses like an adult. You took a risk, then pushed your luck even a little further, and now that it's coming back to bite you, you're dumbfounded. It's in the past, bud, can't do much about it now. What you're left to do with is figuring out how to put it to use now. Focus on that.

Take the advice some of us already offered, manage to somehow get yourself a BMPCC, T3i (I believe it could be put to C-mount crop?), G7 or so. You'd be doing yourself two favors. Getting yourself a camera that works with the lens you visioned having... and the camera is a probably a definit upgrade from the T2i... there's still future for what you said out to do... just takes a bit more effort than anticipated.

Anyways, we all make mistakes, it's part of life really, take something away from it and use it for good in any future endavours. Maybe the lesson here is before jumping to any quick weighty decisions, first explore your options, take your time rather than thinking of all the 'pros' to find the 'cons' instead, rationalize and sleep on it, get others with experience and an objective look to weigh in on the situation... then you can make a deliberate decision.

Don't want to fall? Don't take these huge impulsive leap of faiths... And if you do... brush off your shoulders and get up at it again!

Got ripped off, can't return it because I disassembled it, even though I put it back together. Now he keeps my fucking $1535. Well I hope you are happy you piece of shit Ebay seller with my money.

Did he ever tell you, before you bought it, that it would work on your t2i?

With 'the oppertunity' you mean 'it was never around at an acceptable price'? ;)

Return of the swirly bokeh! The inserts are cute. But to be honest, personally I think I'd rather have some vintage Russians and a tailored DSO 58mm! But I'm sure it's pretty great!

• Super Members

With 'the oppertunity' you mean 'it was never around at an acceptable price'? ;)

Return of the swirly bokeh! The inserts are cute. But to be honest, personally I think I'd rather have some vintage Russians and a tailored DSO 58mm! But I'm sure it's pretty great!

It was more the lack of a Full Frame that keept me from it. Isnt much of a point to use it on smaller.

I have bought vintage glass than most so I see where you are coming from. But yeah, it is great. Its one of those "have to try to get" sort of things. Not for everyone of course.

First reviews of the Samyang/Rokinon 50mm f/1.2 APS-C manual focus lens are in and they're extremely positive - even going so far as to claim it bests the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. The Sigma is lovely, but the short focus throw makes it difficult to pull focus in video.