Lenses

Andrew Reid

I had the Canon 10-18, very light (plastic) but pretty darn sharp for the price . And very affordable. 

I did a review. Note that there is Zero vignette on APS-C like the C100 with a normal amount of filters stacked.

https://youtu.be/T0wkW0q5gfE

​Wow that looks ideal! It's even STM which will allow for face tracking on the C100. Not worried about the f3.5-5.6 either since most of gimbal shots are outdoors.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Recently got this Zeiss Jena 16mm f1.8 but today was the first time I actually took it out of the box to make sure it works. The frame grab is a flickr link so you can klick and watch in full resolution.

(is it me or is the lifted noise in the background quite pleasing and "grain like" compared to most digital noise?)

IMG_20150429_203130.md.jpg

17106693237_158c4ac745.jpg

Very small and light :)

IMG_20150429_204603.md.jpg

The Zeis Jena, Pancolar and Biometar Lenses all have that amazing vintage look, its kinda creamy and brittle at the same time and there's good contrast but the colours are vintage. Draws your eyes in immediately though just has that ability to deliver arresting images and super sharp even fully open. The only difficulty is bright sunlight, you just have to be careful about the flares. The Jena 35mm 2.4 is the king of all of them, it has a massive reputation.

Just been perusing this thread and reminded me that I've got a couple of old bolex lenses in my dry cabinet. A switar 10mm f1.6 and a kern pailard 17-85 f3.5 compact with an SB mount. Checked on eBay and they range from 100 to 700 au dollars. Anyone know if they have any value (or use?)

Hi,

Could you guys recommend me a manual wide angle lens for under 300 euros? 

I think I am going to buy the Contax Carl Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 (to match my other Zeiss lenses) but I don't think it's wide enough (40-42mm equivalent, on super35), I'll be using it on a speedbooster so I would gain one stop of light making it a f/2.0, so I am considering other options, maybe a 20 or 21mm?

Thanks.

• Super Members

Hi,

Could you guys recommend me a manual wide angle lens for under 300 euros? 

I think I am going to buy the Contax Carl Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 (to match my other Zeiss lenses) but I don't think it's wide enough (40-42mm equivalent, on super35), I'll be using it on a speedbooster so I would gain one stop of light making it a f/2.0, so I am considering other options, maybe a 20 or 21mm?

Thanks.

​I have a Minolta mounted Zeiss 28/2.8 that didn't cost me much (40 bucks) but that won't fit a speed booster.
But one that would fit is my C/Y Tokina 24mm f2.8. Its fairly decent. Not Sigma ART sharp of course but gets the job done and it cost €30.
Best way to find one is to look for an "old camera" in the classifieds or on ebay.

​I have made a super booring lens test today that includes it. I wasn't going to post it anywhere but a discussion on FB lead me to decide to edit it together. Feels like there is a lack of tests from certain types of lenses. Specially on the D16.
I will post later if it gets done. 

• Super Members

So here are the lens test I did with my cheap C-Mount, m42 and C/Y today.

The lenses are:
Zeiss Tevidon 10mm f2.0 C-Mount
Computar 12.5mm f1.8 C-Mount
Zeiss Tevidon 16mm f1.8 C-Mount
Tokina 24mm f2.8 m42-Mount
Zeiss Jena 35/2.8 m42-Mount
Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 C/Y-Mount
Yashinon 50/1.9 m42-Mount

They are all shot with identical aperture, ISO, ND, and WB.
They have all the exact same correction and grade.
So the differences is purely down to the lens.

BTW, The BTS was shot on one of them with another camera and is ungraded. Guess which lens? :)

Anyone using the Canon 50mm f1.2 EF often? Andrew seems to be quite fond of it and I would like to have a high speed lens within 50mm range for DOF purposes. Wondering whether this lens is only used in special occasions or on a daily basis.