Lenses

Andrew Reid

53 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I can't seem to find any SLR Magic 10mm videos online that don't look like crap. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'll be posting another video showcasing one of my favorite micro four thirds lenses, the Olympus 75mm f/1.8, in just a couple of weeks.

screen-shot-2017-07-20-at-2-38-16-pm.png

Inna

A still I found on Flickr.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@kidzrevil, you better tell us the focal length(s) you naughty! :) Looking gooood. Where is the video?:) cheers

3 hours ago, jase said:

Never getting tired of some good old fashioned Seb Farges action. He is the man of joyful video work, full of life and energy and awesome taste in lenses.

Here it comes, from the man himself, slr magic 10mm:

Enjoy :)

I bet Zak, @Zak Forsman, can give some more insight on the slr magic 10mm. I think it shows some very interesting characteristics in term

of close to midshot distance bokeh, great dynamic perspective when moved in z axis and around the subject. See yourself in a lenstest video from Sabi Company:

On 17.7.2017 at 1:40 PM, TwoScoops said:

I just got the Zeiss ZF (not ZF.2) 28mm F2 recently. Is this considered the same optically as the Contax Zeiss 'Hollywood' 28 F2? I quite like it, regardless, and it only cost £300. 

Congrats! As far as I know, the ZF is sharper at the edges when wide open and sharper for distant shots when wide open. Flaring is also much less.

Great buy, you got yourself a modern "Hollywood". :) Oh, yeah, and show us some footage please, if possible. Beautiful lenstest vids are the best!

8 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Congrats! As far as I know, the ZF is sharper at the edges when wide open and sharper for distant shots when wide open. Flaring is also much less.

Great buy, you got yourself a modern "Hollywood". :) Oh, yeah, and show us some footage please, if possible. Beautiful lenstest vids are the best!

Thanks. I couldn't believe I won the auction that low, tbh. Someone else is offering it on there right now for 750.

13 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

You lucky!:) I won and bought an Olympus Zuiko 28mm F2.0. Hope to get to test it soon. Need to buy another adpater. It´s just not fun to buy adapters as it is with buying lenses. cheers :)

I had that lens for a second or two. I liked it, but I already had two 28mm f2 lenses so it seemed kinda redundant. 

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

I had that lens for a second or two. I liked it, but I already had two 28mm f2 lenses so it seemed kinda redundant. 

How could you let it go? It´s a Zuiko!:) What two 28mm f2s do you have? Had a Kiron Kino f2, which performed astonishingly poor unfortunately for my

taste. Though it was in perfect condition, like brand new.

Well, couldnt resist. I must post another Seb video. This time the legendary 12mm. Will be my next lens and a native one after a long time again.

So here it goes, 12mm slr magic from the king of lens tests:

38 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

How could you let it go? It´s a Zuiko!:) What two 28mm f2s do you have? Had a Kiron Kino f2, which performed astonishingly poor unfortunately for my

taste. Though it was in perfect condition, like brand new.

Well, couldnt resist. I must post another Seb video. This time the legendary 12mm. Will be my next lens and a native one after a long time again.

So here it goes, 12mm slr magic from the king of lens tests:

At the time I had the Minolta MD 28mm f2 and the Nikkor ai-s 28mm f2. Since going with the 5D3, I sold the Minolta. It was a heart wrenching sale, but I lack a camera to use it with so it helped to offset the cost of the Canon EF 35mm f2.

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

At the time I had the Minolta MD 28mm f2 and the Nikkor ai-s 28mm f2. Since going with the 5D3, I sold the Minolta. It was a heart wrenching sale, but I lack a camera to use it with so it helped to offset the cost of the Canon EF 35mm f2.

Don´t make me buy those! Darn!:)

39 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

It's not the 10mm, but this is the video that convinced me to go the SLR Magic route when I first got into micro four thirds. Far and away one of the most cinematic videos I've ever seen on the GH4.

good lord, this is ... epic.

16 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

TRM, your signature mentiones Leica R primes, do you happen to have some insight on either 35mm f/2 Summicron or f/2.8 Elmarit?

I haven't used the elmarit, but the summicron is freaking gorgeous. Our go to lens on virtually everything. A bit creamier wide open, but stop down and the contrast snaps in for a crisper look. Like two lenses in one, and gorgeous both ways. 

The 35 summicron anchors my lineup. Then I've got the 50 and 90 summicrons, as well as the 28 elmarit. Would love a 19 to round out the set, especially on s35, but it's just not in the budget right now.

29 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

[..]

Ooh, sounds nice. :grin: Thanks, appreciated. I've got the 50 myself as well, great for portrait stuff and nice boosted on m4/3 still, just think the 35mm makes for a better allrounder and something to compliment the 50 in general, staying on the same look palette. Just wasn't sure about Summicron VS Elmarit, there's quite the gap in price for that additional 0.8. The 'Leica' branded 50 f/2 can occassionally be found for less than 500 EUR, while the 35 f/2 Leica is hard to find below a 1000. Of course a cheaper Leitz would be the way to go then. Must be sweet to have a set like that. Noice going!

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

It's not the 10mm, but this is the video that convinced me to go the SLR Magic route when I first got into micro four thirds. Far and away one of the most cinematic videos I've ever seen on the GH4.

I just started following him a couple weeks ago. He has some great 5D3 footage and this one looks great as well. He really captures a late 70s/early 80s NYC film look with his videos. I love the slow dolly in he does in that video. 

Are you still using a GH3, or have you upgraded to a GH4 or GH5 now? It seems like the GH4 could be a great deal as the prices drop.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I just started following him a couple weeks ago. He has some great 5D3 footage and this one looks great as well. He really captures a late 70s/early 80s NYC film look with his videos. I love the slow dolly in he does in that video. 

I finished watching all of his videos and followed him immediately. what a nice vibe. would love to achieve such a thing.

1 hour ago, jase said:

I finished watching all of his videos and followed him immediately. what a nice vibe. would love to achieve such a thing.

Yeah the look he gets is very subtle, but very organic. I only watched his 5D3 videos, but now I have to watch his GH4 videos as well.  

Allow mine to be the sole dissenting voice. :) Seb Farges's video is far too harsh and blurry to my eyes, and Colby Moore's, even though sharpening has been turned all the way down in camera, appears to have had quite a bit of sharpening added in post. The one still from Flickr is pretty soft to my eyes as well. It could not fill my 27" monitor without being a blurry mess. But opinions are what makes the world go 'round, I guess. The difference in crop factor between the videos shot with the SLR Magic 10mm T2.1on the GH4 (2.3X crop factor) and say, the Leica 12mm f/1.4 on the GH5 (no additional crop in 4K) would be negligible, and the quality of the Leica is far superior to that of the SLR Magic. If a cine lens is what you need, I'd check out the Veydra 12mm T2.2. Unlike SLR Magic, the Veydra lenses all have matching T-stops, same size filter threads and identical outer diameter for easy switching between lenses when using a follow focus. @jase I prefer the look and style of your videos.