Must See for GH4 owners - Recovering Super Whites

Julian

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yellow-- yea, sorry, that was barely coherent eh.. i was thinking maybe there was an issue internally or externally with superwhites getting forced to 255, but now that i've looked at the footage, i'm back to thinking there's nothing to worry about, unless you want to keep levels safe for a CRT? it looked fine to me.. but i was importing into flame and then checked a dpx sequence i made with ffmpeg in nuke. i know quicktime can do weird stuff in after effects and premiere. 

when you say QT player clips, do you mean a hard clamp, as in nothing reads over 235 when you sample whites, or blown out (just checking). if so, that sounds like a proper quicktime codec install might be needed, for interpreting as you say.

On another note: curious about the 4K 4:2:2 10 bit files?

On Vimeo you can download this clip in original size, 12GB...

Anyone else having trouble with playback on the original file? I know quicktime does weird things on PC, but i got real choppy playback. 

I have a pretty beast laptop too: Dell m4800 with i7-4900MQ,  2GB Quadro  K2100M, SSD. 

the reason i prefer a panasonic sensor is because of all the amazing filmic videos i have seen the gh2 produce. haven't really seen that with the gh3's sony video-like sensor. with the gh4 having that same sony sensor, i am hoping i can be proven wrong

the reason i prefer a panasonic sensor is because of all the amazing filmic videos i have seen the gh2 produce. haven't really seen that with the gh3's sony video-like sensor. with the gh4 having that same sony sensor, i am hoping i can be proven wrong

Is it confirmed to be the same sony sensor?  I thought it was based on the gx7 sensor which is supposedly a panasonic design. 

Anyone else having trouble with playback on the original file? I know quicktime does weird things on PC, but i got real choppy playback. 

I have a pretty beast laptop too: Dell m4800 with i7-4900MQ,  2GB Quadro  K2100M, SSD. 

I'm still downloading but unless you're doing a ram preview or cached playblast, i'd be really surprised if you could play a 4k 10bit file on your laptop, even with the SSD, without drop frames.. that's 4x the data of an 8bit 4k file. if it was compressed enough to playback in realtime on a non-raid system, it would look very degraded. i have a SAS raid that get's around 700Mb/s sustained and I doubt it will play in RT. you need to render proxies or use an app that has dynamic image caching. the paradox of beautiful 4k, you can't see it.

After spending a couple of days with the GH4 I can say that it's now going to be my "go-to" camera over Blackmagic. There might be a tad bit more highlight room with ProRes but it's a dip I'm willing to take for better resolution, insane battery life, flip out OLED, and HFR. I have a 128GB card coming in Friday that I will test, but so far Sandisk Extreme 95's are working great, as well as 45's.

The GH2 always looked video-like to me.

I'm still downloading but unless you're doing a ram preview or cached playblast, i'd be really surprised if you could play a 4k 10bit file on your laptop, even with the SSD, without drop frames.. that's 4x the data of an 8bit 4k file. if it was compressed enough to playback in realtime on a non-raid system, it would look very degraded. i have a SAS raid that get's around 700Mb/s sustained and I doubt it will play in RT. you need to render proxies or use an app that has dynamic image caching. the paradox of beautiful 4k, you can't see it.

Hmmm. The BMCC Raw should actually be more Mbps right? And I am able to play that back realtime in Resolve. But I guess that uses proxies though?

Hmmm. The BMCC Raw should actually be more Mbps right? And I am able to play that back realtime in Resolve. But I guess that uses proxies though?

I don't use resolve but It's highly likely it's image caching based on your viewer settings.. if you have to load frames before you get realtime playback, probably that's it. 

well hot damn.. check it out:

from the davinci resolve website

"Real time On-The-Fly extremely high quality proxy generation without disk cache."

The black thing on Vimeo is not to do with Vimeo but to do with the limited range RGB signal chain from nvidia vid cards (as mentioned) plus effects of HW acceleration but both only when DVI is used.

What are you mumbling about? There is a (0-255 or 16-235) option in Nvidias control panel, make sure it's set correctly.

What are you mumbling about? There is a (0-255 or 16-235) option in Nvidias control panel, make sure it's set correctly.

Nope, that's nothing to do with the underlying problem of hdmi & dvi output ranges from the GPU dependant on attached display, that BS in the Nvidia panel just scales video output levels and does it badly to compensate for incorrectly setup signal chain. It's not the solution to the problem.

I don't use resolve but It's highly likely it's image caching based on your viewer settings.. if you have to load frames before you get realtime playback, probably that's it. 

well hot damn.. check it out:

from the davinci resolve website

"Real time On-The-Fly extremely high quality proxy generation without disk cache."

Read speeds still matter though. Obviously the SSD is able to write the speed fast enough from my BMCC so it should be able to be read at at least the same speed.  If i try to edit of my internal HDD i don't get real-time playback 7200rpm is just not fast enough. But if i edit off my external thunderbolt raid array, or even my SSD via USB3.0, i'm fine.  Although all of that is on my iMac, my work laptop is a PC

I'm still thinking i should be able to read the 4K 10 bit footage off my SSD. ~700Mbps is well below the maximum read speed of my SSD. 

The .RW2 files open if you change the file to GH2 as well.  I think most people believed the GH2 sensor was from Panasonic, so I don't think changing Exif data proves the sensor one way or another. 

Thanks for clearing that up!

Interesting though, I use this method a lot to open raws from new camera's and it usually doesn't work if the sensor is really different. Or it would at least fuck up the colors etc... (happens when you change OM-D E-M1 raws to E-M5 for example).

Thanks for clearing that up!

Interesting though, I use this method a lot to open raws from new camera's and it usually doesn't work if the sensor is really different. Or it would at least fuck up the colors etc... (happens when you change OM-D E-M1 raws to E-M5 for example).

It is really strange isn't it?  I have the same problems sometimes.