No GH4 coverage from NAB on News Shooter and Cinema5D

sudopera

I don't know, maybe it's too soon to tell, but I've been following their posts since the beginning of NAB and there is not a single post about one of the most exciting products this year. In one video on Teradeck Booth they had Panasonic representative siting there with GH4 in his hands and all they talked about was GoPro, Ninja Star and DJI Copter, not one word with the guy from Panasonic. Cinema5D show On The Couch had representatives from Sony and Canon on interview, why not Panasonic(GH4, VariCam - very hot products for comparison with Canon and Sony from my point of view)? I don't know maybe it's not their fault, if that's the case I apologize, but to me this is very strange.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Various blogs have their on biases. Some report on all companies, some have their favourites. It really doesn't matter on who reports what. For example, in one of the GH4 video interviews from NAB, the Panasonic representative seems a little confused with it's sepcs, etc. 

• Administrators

News Shooter did actually cover the GH4 and had Illya Friedman on the Teradek show. However I noticed it was rushed and about 7 minutes long, very minimal time give to that camera compared to other less significant products at NAB. Call me paranoid but it almost seemed that whenever a GH4 was mentioned in one of the live panels, the subject was batted away.

I don't know, maybe it's too soon to tell, but I've been following their posts since the beginning of NAB and there is not a single post about one of the most exciting products this year. 

Which is a welcome relief, and only fair to all the other new products released just now, or recently. Some of us are just happy for the (brief) chance to read and buzz about something else than the GH4 for a while. Even though the GH4 seem to be creeping in other product talks, too.

Before, during and soon after the release of the GH4, it got all the hype in the industry, and it was all that was talked, and even obsessed about around the blogoshpere, including this site.

Panasonic chose to release their new mainstream product well before NAB apparently for that very reason, to ensure their place in the limelight, with the undivided attention of the camera geeks, bloggers and the rest of the media alike. Including Mr. Reid.

Had they saved it for NAB, and they'd have had to share, or fight for the attention with many others, including Sony, Atomos, AJA, Blackmagic and so on.

Besides, NAB isn't really aimed for the mainstream audience. It's more like a pro trade show for the video broadcast industry, or at least that's how it apparently started. The GH4, on the other hand, is a product aimed more towards the mainstream audience, and it has already had its first 15 minutes. I think even Sony might have done better with a later release date for the A7s, some time after NAB.

But worry not, there will still be other trade shows for both pro and mainstream audiences later on this year, and no doubt the GH4 will rule the EOSHD forum, too, for a good while longer. :)

Canon brought two small chip camcorders (nothing revolutionary) and one expensive pro zoom lens to NAB and they had their representative one on one with Dan Chung from News Shooter on Teradeck Booth. Just watch the guys from Canon and you will see that they have their faces red like lobsters because they didn't show anything that matters and everyone around is inovating and lowering prices, but somehow their new ordinary cams are more important to talk about then two great new Panasonic cams. You have Atomos Shogun with A7S, GoPro with Ninja Star talks etc., but the Shogun is best paired with GH4 because of the 10 bit hdmi output and nobody talks about that. They covered almost everything else there and it was good to see so many interesting new products, but to me this is a little bit disapointing.

• Administrators

The Atomos guys did actually show the Shogun with the GH4 and talked about it, but again easy to miss because the editorial priorities of the other sites were mainly on other things, for some reason.

Atomos reached out to me during the show and were really nice. They are definitely keen to work with Panasonic and are already doing so, providing their ProRes implementation for the VariCam. So although the Shogun was developed with Sony, they are just as interested in the GH4.

Canon brought two small chip camcorders (nothing revolutionary) and one expensive pro zoom lens to NAB and they had their representative one on one with Dan Chung from News Shooter on Teradeck Booth. Just watch the guys from Canon and you will see that they have their faces red like lobsters because they didn't show anything that matters and everyone around is inovating and lowering prices, but somehow their new ordinary cams are more important to talk about then two great new Panasonic cams. You have Atomos Shogun with A7S, GoPro with Ninja Star talks etc., but the Shogun is best paired with GH4 because of the 10 bit hdmi output and nobody talks about that. They covered almost everything else there and it was good to see so many interesting new products, but to me this is a little bit disapointing.

Canon are still a big sponsor for many of the entities behind NAB, as well as for many pro shooters. Nevertheless, Canon will have to deal with the consequences of their more or less phlegmatic appearance at NAB eventually, somehow. They'll risk making themselves increasingly irrelevant.

On the other hand, the Atomos Shogun was released right at the same time as the Sony A7s, at the same venue, so it was only natural that the two were represented together. But Jeromy made it pretty clear that the device is made for all 4K-capable cameras, not just the A7s, which should be screamingly obvious, anyway. The Ninja Star was said to be maid especially the GoPros and other light action cams in mind, but it, too, will work with many other cameras, including the GH4, obviously.

Who said life is fair, anyway? Life is not fair, and no doubt it looks even more unfair to a fanboy of almost any product.

With a little bit less fanatic fanboyism, life may look a little bit easier to tolerate.  ;)

Canon are still a big sponsor for many of the entities behind NAB, as well as for many pro shooters. Nevertheless, Canon will have to deal with the consequences of their more or less phlegmatic appearance at NAB eventually, somehow. They'll risk making themselves increasingly irrelevant.

On the other hand, the Atomos Shogun was released right at the same time as the Sony A7s, at the same venue, so it was only natural that the two were represented together. But Jeromy made it pretty clear that the device is made for all 4K-capable cameras, not just the A7s, which should be screamingly obvious, anyway. The Ninja Star was said to be maid especially the GoPros and other light action cams in mind, but it, too, will work with many other cameras, including the GH4, obviously.

Who said life is fair, anyway? Life is not fair, and no doubt it looks even more unfair to a fanboy of almost any product.

With a little bit less fanatic fanboyism, life may look a little bit easier to tolerate.  ;)

How did I let myself to become a fanboy, I'm going now to throw myself under the train and that's on you.

• 2 weeks later...

@8:14 the Atomos representative mentions his wish of having a "stop, start trigger"... what does this mean and how would it help?

I think it means that when you hit the record button on camera, Atomos automaticaly starts to record too. You have video here of how it works on C100 + Ninja 2 combination